Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Smoked cheese with my new toy!  (Read 1466 times)

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
Smoked cheese with my new toy!
« on: November 28, 2018, 03:38:30 PM »
Decided to smoke some cheese with my early Christmas present.  Got a 12'' A-Maze-N smoke tube and some apple-wood pellets.  This one is the new oval design.  Worked like a charm.  It was easy to light.  Used a small torch and let it burn for a few minutes and set it on the fire grate.  Used my CB Stacker with an aluminum pan full of ice to keep the temperature down.  On top I had some clean wire cooling grates to put the cheese on.  I smoked some extra-sharp yellow cheddar, extra-sharp white cheddar and some pepper jack.  It was a frigid morning of 42 degrees.  Remember I live in Arizona.  For us here it is sub-arctic lol!  I smoked the cheese for about 3.5 hours.  The temperature hung around 52 degrees.  Towards the last 45 min it crept up to 72 degrees.  The weather was cool enough that I needed only one tray of ice.  I then sealed each one to open in time for the Holidays.  I really like this smoke tube.  Just set it up and forget it.  Probably could of ran for another 30-45 min.  Love the results and recommend this highly with a cheesy grin  ;D

« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 03:49:09 PM by Davescprktl »
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
Re: Smoked cheese with my new toy!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 03:40:06 PM »
That is awesome! Something iv been wanting to try for a long time !! Send some this way!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 03:45:24 PM »
That is awesome! Something iv been wanting to try for a long time !! Send some this way!!!!!

Need to wait at least two weeks for the cheese to mellow out.  Hate the wait!  :P
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 05:04:38 PM »
Looks like the smoke tube works great. That would be hard to wait a couple weeks to sample that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 04:11:44 AM »
Looks great Dave. I love smoking cheese. I’m out and haven’t smoked any since summer ended. Great idea having it ready for the holidays. I will make some this weekend. Something I have found is smoking in the 70 degree range takes much less time to smoke the cheese. In other words, I’ve smoked cheese at 40 degrees for four hours that was not as strong as cheese smoked for 2 hours at 70 degrees. It’s really fun to experiment with time and temp and type of pellets.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 04:14:16 AM »
It looks like your color is perfect. Nice subtle smoke flavor that won’t be overpowering.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 04:33:29 AM »
It appears I really need to get into smoking cheese, I love cheese and I love smoke
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

crizpynutz

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2018, 06:37:08 AM »
Smoked cheese....wow, that looks great man!

Jan M.

• WKC Brave
    • Mogschrauber
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2018, 08:32:31 AM »
Never heard of smoked cheese before.
I still can’t imagine that’s this will be tasty.
I guess I’ll need to give this a try!

Best regards,
Jan

nvandyke

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2018, 12:52:13 PM »
Smoked cheese is awesome.  I've never made it myself, but have bought it before in the stores.  Looks like I may have to add this to my (ever growing) list of things to try!

ste6168

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2018, 05:06:57 PM »
Been wanting to try some smoked cheese. I bought a smoke tube to try some out... Gonna add it to my list!

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2018, 10:58:32 AM »
Nice job! Smoked cheese is a wonderful thing.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2018, 07:33:44 AM »
Welcome to the cheese smokers club @Davescprktl !!!  A little trick I learned when I was in AZ and had to battle to keep temps low enough when smoking cheese was putting a bag of ice in the very bottom of the kettle.  The ice against the bowl does a really good job of keep temps down!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2018, 10:26:10 AM »
Welcome to the cheese smokers club @Davescprktl !!!  A little trick I learned when I was in AZ and had to battle to keep temps low enough when smoking cheese was putting a bag of ice in the very bottom of the kettle.  The ice against the bowl does a really good job of keep temps down!

Good advice @MikeRocksTheRed   Not the first time I smoked cheese.  It's the first time with the smoke tube.  Before I would just get one or two hot coals with wood chips.  Not a very reliable method and hard to keep the temp down.  Here is the link from that cook...

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/smoked-cheese-and-a-small-butt/