Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Homemade Italian beef  (Read 939 times)

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Homemade Italian beef
« on: November 08, 2018, 06:13:02 PM »
I’m a big fan of Chicago style Italian beef.   It’s my favorite sandwich and I grew up eating it.   If you haven’t had it, you need to try it if you’re in the Chicagoland area.
https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/chicago-italian-beef-sandwich-recipe

I made an attempt at making it homemade tonight.   I used the amazing rib.com recipe.  I started with a three pound top round roast.   It was seasoned with kosher salt, black pepper, garlic salt, and a Italian seasoning mix.  Cooked on the performer at 325 to an internal of 130. 
I sliced it as thin as possible.   Would have been great to have a meat slicer.  From there I put it in a jus with sweet peppers.  I’ll admit I cheated using a dry seasoning called Louie’s. 
Living in Indiana, it’s tough to get good Italian bread.   We used a crusty French loaf that would stand up to the juice.   The family liked it.   They said it wasn’t Johnnies or Al’s beef, but they’d eat it again!   Sorry no sandwich pix.  Was consumed rapidly.  Thanks for looking. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 06:14:36 PM by michaelmilitello »

biddyK

• Smokey Joe
Re: Homemade Italian beef
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 07:13:32 PM »
Looks mighty tasty to me. I love a good Italian beef sammy. Even better is the Italian combo with an Italian sausage topped with italian beef and hot peppers. Do they do those in Indiana too?

I picked up a cheap (plastic gears) slicer 2 years ago for $30. I only use it every few months for home cured bacon, jerky, roast beast sammies, etc. but totally worth it if you have the room to store it.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 03:06:05 AM »
I forgot to mention I made some sweet Italian sausage to make a “combo.”   We just recently got portillos in Indianapolis.  Prior to that Italian beef was impossible to get south of northern Indiana.   Anytime I’m home in Chicago, we stop at the beef stands.  Johnnies in Elmwood Park is my favorite.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 03:20:41 AM »
Looks good to me, I agree about about having a inexpensive meat slicer, I don't use mine often but is nice to have
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Vinnybaggadonuts

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 01:38:19 AM »
Johnies is AWESOME!!!!
Thankfully they put one in Arlington hts too!!!

Vinny

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Homemade Italian beef
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2018, 04:49:47 AM »
Looks great!  Have you tried south of Chicago yet?  One in fountain sq and one in greenwood. Their Italian beef is incredible but very different from a traditional one.

I really like portillos too.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2018, 04:51:29 AM »
Looks great!  Have you tried south of Chicago yet?  One in fountain sq and one in greenwood. Their Italian beef is incredible but very different from a traditional one.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Portillos opened in Avon in September so we’ve been spoiled.   Haven’t ventured to the sout side yet.