Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Newbe question on reverse sear cooking steaks...  (Read 642 times)

DetDave

• Happy Cooker
Newbe question on reverse sear cooking steaks...
« on: July 05, 2018, 11:55:16 AM »
New to this forum and looking to learn from others experience on using my new Weber 22 inch kettle grill.

Have a question on the reverse sear when cooking steaks or chops.

Using the two zone system and banking the coals to one side, I understand that I should cook the meat at about 225 - 250 degrees on the cooler side until its about 10 degrees below the desired finished temp and then sear it on the hot side.

My question is, with the grill at 225 - 250 degrees for cooking will the area directly over the coals be hot enough to sear (over 400 degrees)? Or do I need to open the vents and wait for the hot side to get to the proper temp? Do I need to place a brick on the hot side to raise the coals closer to the grate to sear?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

DetDave

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
Re: Newbe question on reverse sear cooking steaks...
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 01:49:34 PM »
I always light another chimney (I only use the small Weber chimney) and sprinkling them on top of the coals already in the grill.  I'm afraid that the steaks would "bleed out" while you were waiting for the coals to naturally heat up.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 05:49:51 PM »
I still like to sear and then finish indirect...It's just easier to get the temps right in my opinion...

DetDave

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 12:07:13 PM »
Thanks for the advice. Think I'll try the Big Dawg solution and see how it goes.