Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Extension Cord Winding Method?  (Read 1520 times)

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
Extension Cord Winding Method?
« on: June 19, 2018, 04:08:06 PM »
Looking for advice. I’ve always used the “around the thumb & elbow” method, then wrap each end around the middle a couple time & plug them into each other. That makes ‘em look perdy hangin’ on the garage wall, but when I go to use one, it always ends up in a tangled mess. Who’s got a fantastic system for extension cord storage they don’t mind sharing?

-Jed
-Jed

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Extension Cord Winding Method?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 05:03:59 PM »
Your technique is ok. The problem is the extension cord itself. Cheaper extension cables tend to bend, twist and tangle because either it has fewer but larger strands or the insulation being made out of poorly pliable material.  Or a combination of both.
Do yourself a favor and make your own extension cable out of SJOW or SOOW  wire cable.  Not cheap but it should be the last extension cable you'll ever buy.  Water proof, great resistance to most chemicals and uv light. The best part is it doesn't tangle, kink etc. The sjow are rated for 300v while the soow 600v. The sjow are suitable for most of a homeowner's needs. The soow just handle higher voltage and also has a very thick insulation.  Both uses a rubberized insulation that has very high tolerance for heat or flame.  If not on sale, expect  to pay $10-15 for the male plug and $15-20 for the female end.

Those are some of my shorter  12 gauge extension cables. Also have some longer ones that are 10 gauge.

The thicker wires are the soow. All 12 gauge.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 05:09:59 PM by Jules V. »

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
Re: Extension Cord Winding Method?
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 05:24:01 PM »
Thanks Jules! Looks like I’ve got another summer project. [emoji12]

-Jed
-Jed

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 05:37:54 PM »
I use one of those reels for my 100’ cord. It doesn’t tangle. However, Jules’ solution looks more fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 05:42:05 PM »
Currently good prices on the leviton plugs.  I only use either leviton or hubbell end plugs. Roughly same quality but the leviton are a bit cheaper and tend to go on sale on Amazon, sometimes up to 75% off especially the colored versions.
Some samples below.
Leviton 5369-C 20 Amp, 125 Volt, Connector, Industrial Grade, Straight Blade, Grounding, Black-White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00002NAUA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_q2AkBb1Z1C7NQ
Leviton 5366-C 20 Amp, 125 Volt, Plug, Straight Blade, Industrial Grade, Grounding, Black-White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00002NAU9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_W-AkBbEGKK85Y

lksdrinker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 12:27:42 PM »
Chain braiding (and/or daisy chain) works well too.  Hard to explain without a visual but easy to find .
Its amazing how quickly one weber kettle turns into more than a dozen!  Always open to grabbing something interesting so let me know what you've got!

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 04:21:46 PM »
+1 all mine are braided

Something else I picked up from my Dad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Dude, relax your chicken.

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2018, 09:18:26 PM »
@Jed.cook   Here is a video (somewhat crude) that shows a typical braid used a lot by electricians:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTpbh2zJGhA

SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".