Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cold grate technique + Small grate technique = Ranch Basement Steaks and veggies  (Read 1387 times)

Troy

• Statesman
I've been using this technique a lot over the last 6 months. I first used it while cooking pizza rolls on the rancher. I used a 22" cooking grate for the rolls and it made it easy to move them all around at once rather than using tongs and man-handling every single pizza roll.

The technique evolved a bit with korean bbq (bulgogi). I like to cook a lot of it, enough for several people or several meals. I use thin-sliced ribeyes and they marinate for 12 hours.

The thin sliced meat cooks quickly and too much grate-handling will result in lost meat and less-than-ideal searing. So I started mixed the cold grate technique with the small grate technique and I started cooking in the basement of the Ranch for KBQ.

In this cook, I use the same technique but for steak and veggies. I even attempted a reverse sear.
Good times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoJNV0mt6wA

(Mobile users may need to view the web version of this thread to see the video)

varekai

• WKC Ranger
I am SOOO glad that your ranch is filthy too....  I don't feel so bad now, LOL.... Looks awesome Troy!!
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

Seth1025

• WKC Brave
Glad to have more videos from you.  I was beginning to get worried. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
I am SOOO glad that your ranch is filthy too....  I don't feel so bad now, LOL.... Looks awesome Troy!!

Same here!  That looks you had a fun and delicious afternoon there!

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
Nice technique . . . Excellent results ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Troy

• Statesman
Nice technique . . . Excellent results ! ! !

BD

Thank you sir! I realize it's different.
Let me know if you try it and how it works out.
#smallgratetechnique

I've cleaned and detailed the beast a few times, but within a matter of days it's dusty and dirty again. I give up.

Glad to have more videos from you.  I was beginning to get worried. 

Thanks!! I have been crazy busy with a side hustle turned full-time-job.
I am planning on putting out a few videos every month starting now!

Same here!  That looks you had a fun and delicious afternoon there!

Thanks!!
Big Poppa Smokers Double Secret Steak Rub made EVERYTHING taste better.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Love the fat trick

Troy

• Statesman
Love the fat trick

Thanks!!
To be honest, tossing onto the coals didn't work as well as intended.
I normally put the fat on the grates (in foil) so it melts and drips into the coals. Tossing it directly into the coals ended up being a blazing inferno.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador

Love the fat trick

Thanks!!
To be honest, tossing onto the coals didn't work as well as intended.
I normally put the fat on the grates (in foil) so it melts and drips into the coals. Tossing it directly into the coals ended up being a blazing inferno.

Ha, I bet. Could have been the ranch being so big. I might have to test it out on a 22.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
... Tossing it directly into the coals ended up being a blazing inferno.

video production fail
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Bayoucaju

• Happy Cooker
Best video I have seen in a long time