Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Picked up a Dancook grill today  (Read 1937 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Picked up a Dancook grill today
« on: June 15, 2018, 05:22:24 PM »
Model 1900

tl;dr
It's about the size of a Weber 22 but in aluminum (bowls/legs/table), SS (lid) and nickel plated steel (grates). Intake uses no damper and runs wide open. Airflow is controlled by the lid vent and the contoured pathway air reaches coals from outer to inner bowl holes (which of course, remains fixed.)

So there's an inner bowl that lifts out and you dump or clean ash/grease from it. There's an outer bowl that also lifts out if necessary. I can see how grease could splash into it, but not much.

I played with some Weber grates first. An 18's charcoal grate is a bit too small, but could probably work.

A 22's charcoal grate is a bit too large, but could probably work.

An 18 WSM's charcoal grate is a better fit, maybe 1/2" too small but it does rest on the intended shelf in the inner bowl.

So I suppose you could pile a bunch with the WSM ring to create a crazy sear station?

A Weber 22's cook grate is about 1/2" or so too large, but it'll sit OK and allow the lid to close.

This is with an Adrenaline Charcoal Basket, and I reused these KBB coals to make beer brats. I have no idea if an S 'n S would fit, since the lower diameter is less than a Weber 22's. I lit the whole mess in a small Weber chimney, and the indirect side of the grill became 405 degrees and held that for about an hour! From a small Weber chimney's worth, and more than half used at that.

The overall distance between the two grates is about the same as on a Weber 22, although you can fudge that about an 1" or more in either direction depending on what grates you use. Mine did come with Dancook's grates but I won't be using them, because they're plated and who knows if I'd be able to buy them again. But mostly because I'm turning into an SS snob for cook grates.

The cook grate is interesting; it's heavy (almost 1/4" thick, or 6mm, feels similar to a GBS grate, ) but totally basic, no flip ups, not even handles.

Dinner:

The holes in the table are the only aspect that isn't terribly professional looking. Rough holes. In practice, the "sheen" on the table (and those weird holes) act to help keep stuff from rolling off the table. It works, and of course there's little worry about putting anything hot down.

I didn't measure, but the height is a bit more than a non-SS Performer. I like that! Where's the lid bale? Well, there isn't one, but the lid fits fine down below on the frame without smacking into the legs each time, and the lid handle, since it's offset, makes it easy to swing the lid down there and get at it again later.

The lid handle can get warm but I've had wooden Weber handles get quite a bit hotter. The lid vent spins easily but stays put unless you bump it. The little post to adjust it is simple and good, without burning your fingers.

The ring around the pit stays cool to the touch on the indirect side, as does the outer bowl to some extent. That ring has just enough width for a bottle of Carlsberg or Tuborg.

A Weber 22's lid could be used although it's not a perfect fit. The Dancook's bowl(s) have rounded edges, so they'll match decently with either lid probably. The Dancook lid is beveled similar to a Weber's; the walls are a bit more vertical than Weber's.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 05:28:46 PM by addicted-to-smoke »
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Picked up a Dancook grill today
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 06:03:59 PM »
I want one. It matches your airstream. 
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 06:07:00 PM by Jules V. »

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
Re: Picked up a Dancook grill today
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 06:38:04 PM »
Thats pretty damn cool what year were these made?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 07:40:05 PM »
The U.S. website Saber Grills (distributor) has for Dancook indicates it's a current model.

But who actually sells these in the U.S.? Saber Grills dealers?

Amazon has this one for about $450, and eBay is something like $350 but I also saw one for $160 there. << Good price.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

cigarman20

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2018, 05:28:38 AM »
  AmazingRibs has a nice write up on this unit...

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Grails- ‘63 Fleetwood, Ambassador

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 01:32:46 PM »
That is a cool grill! I like it!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 05:55:33 PM »
It's interesting. My impression is that having the two bowl layers is a real benefit to both higher heat and fuel consumption. I need to play some more, to see if I can dial in something around 250 and for how long, and something around 375-ish for a good hour, for chicken.

putoluto

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2018, 07:00:04 PM »
Nothing goes together like an Airstream and a Weber!