Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Placing Wood Chunks  (Read 1070 times)

david32809

• Happy Cooker
Placing Wood Chunks
« on: June 09, 2018, 06:08:06 PM »
Where do you place the wood chunks on a kettle grill. Do place directly on top of the coals or on top of the grill grate. Using the baskets on either side of the grill, meat in the middle. Indirect cooking. Place wood on both sides of just on one side of the grill.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

1 Smokey Joe; 1 Performer Premium 22 in

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Placing Wood Chunks
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 06:22:31 PM »
I place dry seasoned wood directly on the coals. No need to soak it and no need for wood chips as they just burn up. Wait to put the meat on when the smoke starts to turn a light blue color. White smoke isn’t good unless it’s from a bong! lol. Seriously though, read up on smoke, a lot of science and reason for doing it this way.

https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/grill-and-smoker-setup-and-firing/what-you-need-know-about-wood-smoke-and

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 08:54:36 PM »
Doesn't blue mean hot

Sent from my LG-H932 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

mtneer

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 09:30:28 PM »
I think he means blue smoke not flame.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

TheKevman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 09:14:54 AM »
I do the same--place the wood directly on the coals, unsoaked. I've found that I can't take the lid of the Kettle off for very long while wood is on it because the wood begins to flare up--not that you should take the lid off for very long at all to maintain temp.
A man who has an experience is never at the mercy of a man who has just a theory.

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 09:35:36 AM »
Ive started burying mine in the unlit charcoal, with good results. 

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2018, 02:59:23 PM »

I do the same--place the wood directly on the coals, unsoaked. I've found that I can't take the lid of the Kettle off for very long while wood is on it because the wood begins to flare up--not that you should take the lid off for very long at all to maintain temp.
+2

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.