Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Best way to cook frozen burgers?  (Read 1036 times)

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
Best way to cook frozen burgers?
« on: May 25, 2018, 01:10:43 PM »
I'll be grilling the usual suspects for work, Costco frozen burgers, hot dogs, brats. To be honest I've only grilled frozen burgers once or twice before and I had no idea what I was doing. I still don't know what I'm doing lol. Now that I'm apart of this super knowledge club I figure I can just ask the experts! So what is the best way to grill frozen burgers? I'll have several kettles going each cooking their own thing just because I can lol, and to not spend the entire time cooking on just one kettle. My brief googling turned up not that helpful instructions of "heat up grill, flip every few minutes". How hot? Lid on? Direct vs indirect? Thanks in advance for the help!
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

julweidn

• Smokey Joe
Re: Best way to cook frozen burgers?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 01:20:44 PM »
When i cook frozen I throw em on the gasser at direct medium heat. I flip once the juices are gathering on the top of the burgers. If they are the thin ones, they only need a few minutes after flipping and they are done. I try to only flip the once.

I have found you have a very small window with frozen burgers before they dry out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheKevman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 03:18:39 PM »
I'm an assistant principal of a middle school and cook frozen burgers from Sam's club for over 300 students every spring on a crummy gas grill (no lid). I put them on direct medium-high heat and flip them when they start to "bleed" red on the top. A couple of more minutes and they're done. I'd probably cook them on medium but when you're cooking for that many kids and are on a lunch time schedule, I find you just do your best with what you have!

If you have the luxury of a Kettle with a lid, I'd say cook the frozen burgers direct on medium heat (lid on) until they start to bleed on the top, then flip and cover them for a few more minutes.

In my opinion, frozen burgers are hard to screw up. As long as you don't cook 'em until they look like hockey pucks, you'll be fine as long as they're eaten not long after being pulled from the grill. Good luck!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 03:23:25 PM by TheKevman »
A man who has an experience is never at the mercy of a man who has just a theory.

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 04:10:47 PM »
Thanks for the responses. How much charcoal makes for medium heat? One chimney spread out evenly?

Also about how long will it take to cook a frozen burger? Don't want to keep people waiting or have it sitting too long before it gets eaten.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 04:12:35 PM by Firemunkee »

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 04:24:13 PM »
I didn’t time anything but I’d say my frozen burgers spent 6-7 minutes on each side. Kept flipping to keep even color and the lid was off because I was grilling. I did put it on to melt the cheese.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

AnyThingGrilled

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 08:20:21 PM »
I personally keep it simple. Evenly spread out the coals, medium to medium high heat. Throw the frozen patties 1/3# on the grill and season one side. cover them with the lid for about 5 minutes till blood rises to the top and flip. I continue to cook about another 5 till grease runs clear and plate about 10 minutes total. I typically “bank” leftover coals to one side that extend the cook for longer instances as needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 04:53:36 AM »
Best way? Make them yourself 😂 . By us it’s cheaper to make them, then buy them.
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 08:02:04 PM »
Thanks everyone for the help! I didn't get a picture of the food because I was running around trying to manage several things at once. I did get this shot after just having flipped the burgers.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 09:26:38 AM »
Just make sure your hand is out of the way when separating the burgers. Ask me how I know!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 12:31:55 PM by Darko »