Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: random act of chicken  (Read 951 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
random act of chicken
« on: May 23, 2018, 05:57:01 PM »
Moar WSM directness fun

Some kinda marinade voodoo, and then Carolina sauce on top towards the very end.

Oh and there was a random veggie with our usual white rice. Very thankful (lucky?) my kids have decided they like carrots finally ... switched up the methodology a little. As the quarters were done and wrapped up, I'd microwaved the orange sticks for three minutes.

And then grilled them on the er, smoker. With the lid remaining off, the heat that was already fairly hot rose well enough to finish them nicely. I may have spritzed them with oil and seasoning this time also, but really, they're fine with zero, nada, bupkis.

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: random act of chicken
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 06:01:52 PM »
Maybe I should explain? I'm drawn to the idea of parboiling in order to speed up veggie cook time without screwing them up but actually do not possess any ice for the stop-process. The ice maker's broken. I could put "ice packs" in water I suppose.

So I supposed I could cook them internally (what a microwave does ...) and let the grill do the deed to finish up. It worked; they were only on the cooker for a few minutes instead of the 15-20 it would otherwise take. If there's a risk, it's that the microwave pushed out some moisture but I didn't do them long enough in there for it to be a problem.

Hope that makes sense, I'm learning (I think.)
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 06:02:25 PM »
All that looks delicious! I bet grilled carrots are amazing. Little char to sweeten them up.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 06:05:29 PM »
... I bet grilled carrots are amazing. Little char to sweeten them up.

Stupid-easy to do and yes, sweet even if you don't char them. But what I like best is that it's very easy to effect a softer outside and semi-crunchier inside, so that they have some "bite" to them without seeming either undercooked nor overcooked.

The outsides could strike some folks as slightly rubber-ish if not used to it this way, however.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 06:10:42 PM »
Great idea on nuking the carrots for a couple minutes. I did carrots on the wsm not long ago inspired by your posts. They are awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 06:36:40 PM »
I'm all about easy, 'cause I'm lazy and most of this shit happens during the week. So there have been misses among the hits, certainly.

Still hoping to progress to something like green beans with regularity.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 06:43:22 PM »
Right about when I was bringing in the ribs, the toaster oven got turned on.

Pizza rolls? Who? What??? "Do you think there's no dinner being made?"

If it weren't for those meddling kids ...

... and not everyone's onboard with pork here, but I knew she'd be showing up late tonight. These are Johnsonville chicken brats, chipotle/cheese flavor slow done on the WSM's leftover heat and then put into a shallow onion/beer bath to soak for over an hour.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 07:31:20 PM »
Pizza rolls and ribs. After my own heart right there..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 05:54:46 AM »
You know I had to give the kid grief about it ... before putting them on my plate also. ;)