Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: new salmon, old grill = tasty  (Read 697 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
new salmon, old grill = tasty
« on: May 11, 2018, 06:53:37 PM »
First cook on my dad’s ’75-’76 18.5” kettle in a few years.

I’d done some minor repairs (I hope!) to rusty leg sockets and such last year. Had an idea for a fake internal ash pan to try out, also. Tomorrow I’ll learn if the repairs held up to heat, and what worth the internal ash pan had.

In addition to not wanting to brush/scrape/dump ash out of a daisy wheel cooker, I want to limit the heat the bottom of the bowl sees, because there's one or two pinhole holes in it already!

To gauge both airflow (at least, potentially?) and how much ash the pan would collect, vs letting it fall below, I did a direct cook with charcoal right on the grate.

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: new salmon, old grill = tasty
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 07:08:22 PM »
Hmm, someone didn’t gauge plank space quite well enough! But it worked out just the same. It’s the frozen stuff, individually sealed wild caught stuff. No skin.

Cooked for about 30 minutes, all vents wide open. The plank had been soaked for about 30-40 minutes. Likely coulda yanked it closer the 20 minute mark, was a touch dry, but it was still yummy. I could not be bothered to use any thermometers.

My fuzzy memories of previous fish plank cooks told me they take longer than indirect non-plank fish cooks, or perhaps not?

No complaints. Fish had been prepped with a light coating of maple syrup and then, Weber New Orleans seasoning. NICE.

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

cigarman20

• WKC Ranger
Re: new salmon, old grill = tasty
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 08:49:03 AM »
Looks excellent! One of my favorites.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Grails- ‘63 Fleetwood, Ambassador

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador