Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: stew?  (Read 847 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
stew?
« on: May 08, 2018, 01:02:05 PM »
Picked up some boneless beef ribs. Dino bones/bone-in beef ribs do not exist in Middle TN, despite cows everywhere, including sometimes in the back field when they break through the electric fence for the horses.

Maybe I should catch one sometime. Anyway …

This is a total experiment, meant to increase my learning, even if by stupid mistake. I started the 18 WSM too hot. Even with ALL the vents closed, it held well over 350 for over an hour. But when it fell to 300 I did open up two vents below and the lid vent again.

The beef had been on the cooker for over an hour; I made no attempt to stabilize the cooker. I decided to make a quasi-stew, sorta. (Note: I have almost zero experience making stew!)

The Camp Chef dutch oven got the call … I didn’t even first verify if it would fit under the lid (it does.)

I cut up 4 red potatoes into quarters, and prepared about 6 carrots. Tossed that in with a small amount of Dale’s Low Sodium, about a cup of water, 1TBPS minced garlic, and a secret weapon: I drizzled some freaky molasses my mother-in-law had brought back from Nicaragua some time ago. It’s crazy rich but has a sweet, unidentifiable character about it. I figure that alone will either make the meal or ruin it.

I pulled the meat when I’d had the rest ready. Out of morbid curiosity I Thermapen’d them. They were done and tender, pushing 200 degrees. Oh well … and yes I am aware that normally for stew, you cook everything at the same time. And I am aware there’s a real chance the meat will turn to mush when it’s all over. Fuck it … I’d just as soon throw it all in a blender and create a bizarre stew shake. And then market it to people with no teeth, if necessary. Meat pudding! Mmmm …

The beef had kosher salt, black pepper, some cardamom, and something red like paprika that wasn't paprika. Yes, I "should" have cut the meat into cubes or whatever prior to placing in the DO. Sue me.

Oops, forgot to add the yellow onion:

Still in process. I have one lower vent open and we’re looking at 360-380 with a slow descent in temp. If (when) it drops to say, 320 I’ll open it up somewhat. Need them taters to cook.

Not a ton of liquid in here, so if it cooks faster/thicker than stew would, that's fine. 4pm, gonna check it in an hour.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 01:03:51 PM by addicted-to-smoke »
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Re: stew?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 01:15:21 PM »
Hurry! It's 2pm and i  haven't had breakfast yet.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 01:22:39 PM »
LOL Jules you left-coasters will get leftovers!

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 02:29:44 PM »
shut down, it's all over

... and of course, the minute I bring it in, Girl Griller frowns and says, "Aw, is it ready already? I wanted to play with Rusty!" (Rusty is a horse ... she treats them like dogs, tells them what to do etc.)

Sure thing, the dutch oven sitting in the kitchen might as well be a faux cambrio at this point. But I could not resist getting a chef's delight onto the fork. I love the flavor. Has those recognizable scents of "stew" (carrots/potatoes/onion) but the cardamom and molasses teamed up to take this into outer space.

It's not the juiciest thing ever, but not dry either. I think I know how to improve it, next time!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 04:27:15 PM »
No plate pics. The molasses drizzle seriously set the tone. In fact I’m glad it was only a drizzle; it was over everything when all said and done. Interesting.

I’ll try something similar again with “normal” molasses. I’ve since Googled “molasses beef” and (not surprisingly) there’s a ton of examples out there.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 06:38:56 AM »
Ha! Found one more:

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 08:27:22 AM »
I don't give a shit what you did, or how you did it, but I would so eat that!!!!

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 09:38:23 AM »
Looks good. Always fun to create something!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2018, 10:46:57 AM »
That looks fabulous!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC