Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Took my Caliente Argentine/Tuscan Style Grill Kit out for a spin today  (Read 975 times)

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
First saw this getup over at WKC and I was intrigued.  One popped up on CL for a song, and like a fish, I instinctively jumped on it.  It's been sitting in my garage since last fall just waiting for me to try it out.  Had some nice thick filets to cook  so today seemed like the right time

This thing works kind of like a Santa Maria, only you raise and lower the coals instead of the food grate.   One side benefit of the design is that you can use the kettle lid on the cook.

Filets went on for a quick sear with the coals about 2 inches away.   Rotated for diamonds then flipped.    Went with the sear first instead of reverse sear because this thing is new to me and I'm in the learning phase.

Moved the steaks over to indirect side and dropped the coals down 10 or 12 inches or so.  Guessing on that as I didn't have a measuring tape on me.

The attachment is pretty nice.  Has a weighted crank handle so the charcoal grate stays where you want it.  Each crank around drops it by some increment, again, didn't measure. One modification that I will do is to make some kind of lip around the charcoal grate so that the briquettes don't fall over the edge.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 11:23:20 PM by demosthenes9 »

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
Some photos showing the INNER workings in case anyone is interested.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
Those works great.  One of my most used accessory.

Used when greater distance to the coal is necessary. Also use it for rotisserie with wood splits and without the lid.