Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Seeking advise on a ssp build...  (Read 3131 times)

inkaddictedchef1

• WKC Ranger
Seeking advise on a ssp build...
« on: April 28, 2018, 10:21:12 AM »
... putting pieces together for a coppermist ssp build out. Seeking advice as I enter into the process.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Seeking advise on a ssp build...
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 10:59:58 AM »
What advice do you need? I would say don't be hesitant to chop off the handle on the lid bale side- you can leave the handle that will sit under the table as a lot of them came that way from the factory. Don't rest the handles on the frame. That looks really cheesy. Don't worry about the GA. I would even remove all those GA components and it will look super clean. I have a lot of SPP replacement parts if you need anything.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2018, 11:00:52 AM »
That's what we're here for. Got questions?

qwesthunter makes brackets you'd want for attaching the bowl

Both zavod44 and pbe gummi bear have posted threads a few years ago for how to drill the hole for the gas assist, if adding that feature.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2018, 11:03:37 AM »
... I would even remove all those GA components and it will look super clean. ...

I was also thinking about way to highlight the copper mist's color, without necessarily painting a bunch of stuff copper.

Some judicious removal of some thing might work for that, such as not using the front top side panel, or cutting it so that it still conceals the stuff on the right but not the bowl on the left ... use your imagination!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 11:05:44 AM »
... I would even remove all those GA components and it will look super clean. ...

I was also thinking about way to highlight the copper mist's color, without necessarily painting a bunch of stuff copper.

Some judicious removal of some thing might work for that, such as not using the front top side panel, or cutting it so that it still conceals the stuff on the right but not the bowl on the left ... use your imagination!

Wood or wood veneer on the front panel would be a nice touch. A dark wood table pull would complement the brown kettle too.

inkaddictedchef1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2018, 11:30:22 AM »
Thanks for the early insight...I have an artist friend that is very handy with a rattle can that I was the planning to have paint a coppermist fade on the propane tank. Planning on handles, rollers and matching badge from Brian as well. I have brackets I ordered from R shack bbq already and will have the cart in my possession Tuesday and I will then be able to assess my other needs from there. I will be needing a lid bale for sure but I have a spare ash bucket that I will use in the build. I like the idea of a wood panel for the front and definitely want the kettle color to shine in the build...

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2018, 02:40:57 PM »
I have a lid bale that you are welcome to have. Have your artist friend do something cool with the Weber badge.

qwesthunter

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2018, 02:53:40 PM »
Also hit up Jules V. He has done quite a few Performer builds —especially SSP’s .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2018, 07:24:33 AM »
Is it a mbh or no? On the cado i just put the brackets under the handles and put the bail on the side. It puts the kettle about 1.5 inches higher than a normal performer. If you do it that way make sure you put them low enough that the bolts are under there the cooking grate straps are. I got lucky and didnt realise that until after i drilled into it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2018, 09:28:46 AM »
Is it a mbh or no? On the cado i just put the brackets under the handles and put the bail on the side. It puts the kettle about 1.5 inches higher than a normal performer. If you do it that way make sure you put them low enough that the bolts are under there the cooking grate straps are. I got lucky and didnt realise that until after i drilled into it.

How can you put the brackets down low(er) and still have the brackets reach both the bowl and the frame? Long bolts with spacers/washers?

All this talk of drilling into a Copper Mist had me nervous until I remembered they actually grow in the OP's backyard. True story.

inkaddictedchef1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2018, 09:38:57 AM »

Not a mbh an H code I bonused earlier in the week while agenting a logo SJ for @cellar2ful

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2018, 11:29:44 AM »
If you go so far to drill holes to install brackets on your bowl, you might as well chop off the handles. Obviously a 2 handle bowl adds a bit more work for these mods.

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2018, 12:55:13 PM »

Not a mbh an H code I bonused earlier in the week while agenting a logo SJ for @cellar2ful

Damn thats pretty and as old as me. You can almost drill out the handles and mount the brackets to yhe same location

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2018, 12:59:28 PM »

How can you put the brackets down low(er) and still have the brackets reach both the bowl and the frame? Long bolts with spacers/washers?

All this talk of drilling into a Copper Mist had me nervous until I remembered they actually grow in the OP's backyard. True story.
This is what i mean i left the handles and mounted the brackets a little lower. Had to manipulate the tabs to the bowl a bit due to the more drastic curvature to the bowl. But i almost made it so my grate didnt fit but i managed to oops it in the right spot

SteveZ

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2018, 02:44:14 PM »
If you can imagine it you can build it!

SSP Caribique, Black 2nd Generation Performer, 2018 Green Performer, 1970 MBH 26 Black (Fleetwood) with Roti, 1965 Thumb Screw 49er, (2) Black 18 OTG, 2017 Black Master Touch, Black Genesis Silver B.  E code 14 WSM, AH code 18 WSM, AH code 22 WSM,