Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Tri tip & better tri tip...  (Read 1718 times)

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
Tri tip & better tri tip...
« on: April 21, 2018, 05:03:15 PM »
So a week ago I did my first tri tip. I refrigerated with California-style rub recipe I found online for a few hours, then indirect smoked on a 26 with a couple hickory chunks around 300 ‘til it hit 120 internal. Pulled it, spread the coals, then (reverse) seared for 1-2 minutes per side. The meat was about perfect, but no one in my family really liked the seasoning. Waaay too much cumin.

Tonight I did the same method but just used Montreal SS. This time the seasoning was about perfect, but the meat was a little under done. (Most recipes I found called for medium to medium-rare.) My wife & discovered we actually prefer this cut more of a medium, or dare I say, even medium-well. I almost always prefer bloody over burnt, but this cut seems to be tough if it’s not cooked a little more. Is that because it’s kind of a cheap cut, like a flank steak we use for fajitas?

Anyway, here you go. Looks good, but the toughness doesn’t show through the pics.

-Jed
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 05:05:23 PM by Jed.cook »
-Jed

cigarman20

• WKC Ranger
Re: Tri tip & better tri tip...
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 05:33:04 PM »
Looks delicious. I rarely come across Tri-tip in my neck of the woods (VA). Found two last summer at my local Kroger and haven't seen them since. The two that I bought I hung on the pit barrel cooker. They were tender but your right, the are very similar to a flank, excellent flavor for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Grails- ‘63 Fleetwood, Ambassador

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 05:39:10 PM »
Yeah, I’ll repost when I’ve gotten a better result. I forgot to throw in the last pic. This was taken after eating when I sliced the second half. It had rested longer (and I think raised its temp a little more) so it’s more medium well. I think it’s way better than the plated cuts that look so perfectly pink & delicious in the other pics.

-Jed
-Jed

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 05:41:20 PM »
BTW- @cigarman20 I like that handle. If you ever want to come out to CO for the Big Smoke drop me a line. We can make a weekend of sticks, BBQ & beers! [emoji482]

-Jed
-Jed

cigarman20

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 05:45:10 PM »
Nothing better than that!

Grails- ‘63 Fleetwood, Ambassador

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2018, 05:58:40 PM »
Also, in case nobody caught it in that first pic, tt’s are BOGO right now at Kroger stores. The guy who got roasted tonight has a twin! He’ll be hitting the Mini WSM mañana using this method: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUbHcEutRjw

-Jed
-Jed

TheKevman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2018, 06:02:14 PM »
Looks perfectly done!
A man who has an experience is never at the mercy of a man who has just a theory.

jp217p

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2018, 06:26:51 PM »
So a week ago I did my first tri tip. I refrigerated with California-style rub recipe I found online for a few hours, then indirect smoked on a 26 with a couple hickory chunks around 300 ‘til it hit 120 internal. Pulled it, spread the coals, then (reverse) seared for 1-2 minutes per side. The meat was about perfect, but no one in my family really liked the seasoning. Waaay too much cumin.

Tonight I did the same method but just used Montreal SS. This time the seasoning was about perfect, but the meat was a little under done. (Most recipes I found called for medium to medium-rare.) My wife & discovered we actually prefer this cut more of a medium, or dare I say, even medium-well. I almost always prefer bloody over burnt, but this cut seems to be tough if it’s not cooked a little more. Is that because it’s kind of a cheap cut, like a flank steak we use for fajitas?

Anyway, here you go. Looks good, but the toughness doesn’t show through the pics.

-Jed
So I cooked 3 tri tips all at different temperatures. I prefer a medium rare  steak but tri tip is a little different.  One came off at 120°, one at 140° and one at 160°. The best one was the one at 160°. It was just as juicy, it was a tiny hint of pink in the center but the biggest difference was tenderness. It was much more tender and came apart much easier than the other two. What I've found made q difference as well is cutting against the grain. I see you did on half of the roast but the other picture it looks like it might have been cut along the grain. Try is sometime, I think you'll have the same result. Good luck!!!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2018, 06:37:03 PM »
Oh crap, did I mess up the cut?!! Full disclosure- I was about three beers in when I started carving. I think my first cuts were against the grain and the second half ended up going with somehow, so that’s even more testament to bringing tt up to a higher temp since the second was still more tender.

I agree that 160 is about right, but that’s hard for me to admit, being a medium-rare guy when it comes to steaks. I guess I usually bring a brisket up over 200 before I probe test it for doneness, so it shouldn’t bother me, but for some reason it does. Somebody tell me I’m crazy, please.

-Jed
-Jed

jp217p

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2018, 07:39:55 PM »
Oh crap, did I mess up the cut?!! Full disclosure- I was about three beers in when I started carving. I think my first cuts were against the grain and the second half ended up going with somehow, so that’s even more testament to bringing tt up to a higher temp since the second was still more tender.

I agree that 160 is about right, but that’s hard for me to admit, being a medium-rare guy when it comes to steaks. I guess I usually bring a brisket up over 200 before I probe test it for doneness, so it shouldn’t bother me, but for some reason it does. Somebody tell me I’m crazy, please.

-Jed
You didn't mess up the cut but it does come apart easier when it's cut against the grain though.
That's a great way to think about Tri Tip. So next time try 160°. I think you'll like it. Also if you have a grill with an adjustable height like a Santa Maria grill, give that a go. You can't really get a bark on Tri Tip because it'll dry out past 170° but you can sear it to get the outside crispy if you like that. I'm not no pro, just some observations I've made. I hope it helps.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2018, 08:08:59 PM »

Yeah, I’ll repost when I’ve gotten a better result. I forgot to throw in the last pic. This was taken after eating when I sliced the second half. It had rested longer (and I think raised its temp a little more) so it’s more medium well. I think it’s way better than the plated cuts that look so perfectly pink & delicious in the other pics.

-Jed

So a few things...

I’m not a fan of a tri tip rare. It’s a little chewy. I’d say medium center, well on the tips offers the best results (and something for everyone).

The first few pics look very good...but the last one you posted you cut with the grain, not against it. The grain can (and often is) a little tricky. Some people cut them In half and then cut each half. Others cut the whole thing and follow the grain. Practice...and trust me...You’ll get it very quickly. The proper way to cut a tri tip is 50% of the equation. So the fact that it’s pinker is misleading a little. Medium rare and cutting with the grain makes it seem doubly chewier than a medium well slice from the end cut against the grain.

As far as seasoning...treat if like a steak or a prime rib. Garlic, salt, pepper and that’s about it. Montreal steak works. I love Garlic, salt, pepper in that order.
Some like it with some sweet, some with some heat. Just have fun with it.

Jed.cook

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2018, 08:13:26 PM »
Thanks Mike! I’ll watch that grain closer next time I’m carving.

-Jed
-Jed

XRichard23

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2018, 08:57:53 PM »

-Jed

So a few things...

I’m not a fan of a tri tip rare. It’s a little chewy. I’d say medium center, well on the tips offers the best results (and something for everyone).

The first few pics look very good...but the last one you posted you cut with the grain, not against it. The grain can (and often is) a little tricky. Some people cut them In half and then cut each half. Others cut the whole thing and follow the grain. Practice...and trust me...You’ll get it very quickly. The proper way to cut a tri tip is 50% of the equation. So the fact that it’s pinker is misleading a little. Medium rare and cutting with the grain makes it seem doubly chewier than a medium well slice from the end cut against the grain.

As far as seasoning...treat if like a steak or a prime rib. Garlic, salt, pepper and that’s about it. Montreal steak works. I love Garlic, salt, pepper in that order.
Some like it with some sweet, some with some heat. Just have fun with it.

great post here
All I can add is a picture that when I saw it, i finally was able to see the grain.  I am one that cuts in half and then slices each half, but it’s not necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Own: 22" Blue Platinum, Blue Performer 3rd Gen, 22" Blue MT, 22" Blue OTG, 26” Black OTG; 18" WSM
ISO: Blue 18”

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2018, 04:34:53 AM »
That's the picture I was looking for...It taught me that the grain in a TT changes from end to end...I cut in half and slice each half according to it's grain...

Best TT I ever made was "accidentally" cooked to 152...I thought I had ruined it...Best ever...Now I cook em all that way...

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2018, 05:33:16 AM »
Yup. Watch the grain. The last TT I did was seasoned with Mad Hunky "Just Add Beef" rub and a little salt and pepper. I SV'd it at 134 for 2-3 hours, then seared over RO lump. Dang that was gooood!
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.