Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Vent control rod put on the wrong way.  (Read 744 times)

kejster

• Happy Cooker
Vent control rod put on the wrong way.
« on: April 16, 2018, 11:09:16 PM »
So, I'm continuing my restoration of a Performer that I was given, and the next thing I wanted to do was make some marks for the vent control rod, so I can see from the outside if it's closed, 1/4, 1/2 or fully open (I suppose many of you do the same).

But! when I put the rod in the closed position, the vents where fully open. When I put it in the open position -- also fully open.

It looks almost like whoever put i together (factory? previous owner?) got it 180 degrees wrong (pics attached of when the rod is in the "closed" position.

So, I want to remove the rod, rotate the propeller-thing 180 degrees, and put the rod back on.

However, I can't seem to find any screws on the rod or propeller. It almost looks like the rod has just been pushed into two holes in the part of the propeller that sticks out the bottom.

Do I just wiggle it to get it out (seems like it's pretty stuck), or bash it with a hammer?

Are there any screws or pins that I may have missed, that should be removed before I can take the rod out?

Kettle is second generation Performer btw.

Pics attached. Hope someone knows what to do.

I could in theory use the kettle as-is, but then I would have to have the "closed" mark somewhere in the middle, and the ash-removed also does not work as it's supposed.

Best regards, Kenneth.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Best regards. Kenneth.

chiku18

• WKC Ranger
Re: Vent control rod put on the wrong way.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 05:44:12 AM »
Looking for Colored 18 MBH

kejster

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 07:05:27 AM »
Epic! Thank you so much. I would not have figured that out myself.
Now, closed is really closed :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Best regards. Kenneth.

XRichard23

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 06:44:08 PM »
I tried taking off stainless sweeps from a one touch platinum to swap out with a grill I’m keeping but couldn’t figure it out.  Great timing on this thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Own: 22" Blue Platinum, Blue Performer 3rd Gen, 22" Blue MT, 22" Blue OTG, 26” Black OTG; 18" WSM
ISO: Blue 18”