Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Friday cook - first time pork shoulder  (Read 1659 times)

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
Re: Friday cook - first time pork shoulder
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2018, 06:44:09 PM »
Ahhh good to know.. I didn't realize meat hits a stalling temp for a while. You learn something new every day! Next time you're in NJ.. let me know. We'll grab a Sloppy Joe & a soda :)
Most definitely on the Joes!  Looking forward to hearing about the butt.  Stalls are common...I've even had a double stall once on a brisket.  Wrapping in foil helps, but some don't like to do that b/c it can soften the bark.  Either way, no worries.  Each cook will bring experience and confidence.  Enjoy! 

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

james1787

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2018, 06:59:46 AM »
13 hours was the total cook time. I did wind up bringing the temps up a bit to push it through the stall.

It came out pretty well. The flavor was delicious. It was a touch dry but not too bad. I'm wondering if it was because I pushed it by raising the temps a little? I did have it around 300 - 305 towards the end. All in all though I'd call it a success for a first try but I think I need some more practice.

Still some more learning to do on the pork shoulder cook but it was worth the effort. Thanks everyone for the advice and tips.
Seeking either 56-58 anything or Westerner

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2018, 10:22:13 AM »
13 hours was the total cook time. I did wind up bringing the temps up a bit to push it through the stall.

It came out pretty well. The flavor was delicious. It was a touch dry but not too bad. I'm wondering if it was because I pushed it by raising the temps a little? I did have it around 300 - 305 towards the end. All in all though I'd call it a success for a first try but I think I need some more practice.

Still some more learning to do on the pork shoulder cook but it was worth the effort. Thanks everyone for the advice and tips.
Try this recipe and process next time.  Worked well for me.  The guy cooks on a kettle. 

http://www.slapyodaddybbq.com/2012/04/slap-yo-daddy-bone-in-pork-butt-2/

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

james1787

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2018, 11:30:24 AM »
Cool! I'll definitely try this next time. It's hard to find time for these longer cooks but they are worth it. I've bookmarked the site so I'll give it a shot next go around.

I have a fair amount of unburned charcoal from this last round.. gonna round it up.. clean out the grill and cook something this week.. not sure yet what.
Seeking either 56-58 anything or Westerner