Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Friday cook - first time pork shoulder  (Read 1661 times)

james1787

• WKC Ranger
Friday cook - first time pork shoulder
« on: April 12, 2018, 05:36:32 PM »
Hey everyone,

Friday 4/13 I am making my first attempt at a pork shoulder. I have a roughly 8 pound shoulder and I was planning on trying to follow this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymWivHIsStk

He's got the top vent cracked about 1/8" and the bottom vent cracked about the same. I have a 3 wheeler.. I was thinking I crack the bottom vents 1/8"?

I will be using Royal Oak lump.. well, because that was all I could find locally on short notice.

I'm thinking the cook will go 10 hours if kept around 250.. and pull it off the grill when it hits 195 on the inside?

Lastly.. use my workhorse faded black? Or shall I break out the Cado?
Seeking either 56-58 anything or Westerner

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Friday cook - first time pork shoulder
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 06:20:41 AM »
That's a good video. I like his detail. Gonna share it with a buddy of mine who has a "Bigger, Better Basket." In other words, just like the guy in the video, he would not be doing a snake.

You'll add charcoal throughout, because lump burns hotter/quicker. Have water in a pan; you'll need it to stabilize the temp with that fuel. I'd use the black ... I'm not a fan of banking coals, ever, on a colored grill!

My understanding of doing this on a 3-wheeler is to completely close two vents and just work the other, under the fuel. You won't even have to open it up fully.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

james1787

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 07:54:01 AM »
Cook report:
I didn't realize the lump was a bit different from briquettes... I'm not used to lump so I ran out and picked up some Kingsford (I want to do something simpler to learn working with lump.. so I'll experiment and learn with lump another time).

Anyways, I got the pork shoulder on around 9am. My temps started out around 275 and I dialed it down to around 250 for a while. After the first mopping I'm at about 230 so I opened the vents slightly more.

I went with the faded black.. I agree with banking the coals on a colored kettle.. forgot about that so the Cado is resting. I didn't know that about the 3-wheeler vents. Right now I have all three slightly cracked. Next time around I'll experiment with two closed and one open but I'll leave it as-is for now.

I did notice meat temps are coming up. I'm wondering if it's just improper placement of the meat temp probe? I don't think I'm going to go the estimated 10 hours. I saw a bunch of people in videos take the fat cap off... I did.. maybe I wasn't supposed to? I'm 3 hours in and the meat is at 137 degrees... pit temp 231. I'm gonna turn the shoulder 180 degrees at the next mopping in an hour.. maybe I'll look for a better spot for the probe.. perhaps on the side away from the coals.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 07:57:35 AM by james1787 »

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 08:25:59 AM »
Cook report:
I didn't realize the lump was a bit different from briquettes... I'm not used to lump so I ran out and picked up some Kingsford (I want to do something simpler to learn working with lump.. so I'll experiment and learn with lump another time).

Anyways, I got the pork shoulder on around 9am. My temps started out around 275 and I dialed it down to around 250 for a while. After the first mopping I'm at about 230 so I opened the vents slightly more.

I went with the faded black.. I agree with banking the coals on a colored kettle.. forgot about that so the Cado is resting. I didn't know that about the 3-wheeler vents. Right now I have all three slightly cracked. Next time around I'll experiment with two closed and one open but I'll leave it as-is for now.

I did notice meat temps are coming up. I'm wondering if it's just improper placement of the meat temp probe? I don't think I'm going to go the estimated 10 hours. I saw a bunch of people in videos take the fat cap off... I did.. maybe I wasn't supposed to? I'm 3 hours in and the meat is at 137 degrees... pit temp 231. I'm gonna turn the shoulder 180 degrees at the next mopping in an hour.. maybe I'll look for a better spot for the probe.. perhaps on the side away from the coals.
231 is fine for the pit.  The temp of the butt will eventually stall and be stuck for awhile.  That will make the time estimate even out a little bit....but if it cooks faster, no big deal... that is a forgiving cut of meat.  All will be well.  Don't worry; enjoy the experience and the aromatics. 

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

james1787

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 08:32:52 AM »
Ahhh good to know.. I didn't realize meat hits a stalling temp for a while. You learn something new every day! Next time you're in NJ.. let me know. We'll grab a Sloppy Joe & a soda :)

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 10:46:47 AM »
Let us know how it turns out!!
...and lump is fantastic! I prefer GFS Lump since it has several large pieces. Just be careful when using your one-touch sweeps as it could bend the sweeps if you sweep to vigorously!
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

james1787

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 02:11:08 PM »
Gettin there. stalled out around 167.. bringing the temps up a little to 275ish.. moving back up again. Hoping to get there within another couple of hours. Mopping every 2 hours. Looking GOOD.

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 02:53:33 PM »
Gettin there. stalled out around 167.. bringing the temps up a little to 275ish.. moving back up again. Hoping to get there within another couple of hours. Mopping every 2 hours. Looking GOOD.

Sounds like you know what you're doing and this first cook is going well! Looking forward to the results.
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

james1787

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 03:13:49 PM »
Still trying to get out of this stall. I got it up to 176 internal temps.. pit started dropping. It was mop time.. mopped.. added more charcoal... losing all my progress for internal temps. Trying to get to that 195 but I feel stuck. Any ideas how to get out of this stall? I'm half tempted to dump 1/2 a load of hot charcoal heated up in the chimney. What will help get this pork shoulder to the finish line?

james1787

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 04:55:23 PM »
Pushing through it.. bumped the temps up a little.. up in the 280-290 range. Temps around 186. Shooting for 195. 12 hours since it first hit the grate.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 05:00:16 PM »
Yep, you're through the stall. Now to just let it coast on up some more.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2018, 05:00:17 PM »
Stop opening your kettle and mop it less often would be my suggestion.
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

james1787

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2018, 05:05:43 PM »
Yup, I was only opening it once every two hours. I opened it for one last time (hopefully) to add a little charcoal.. hopefully in the home stretch now. Hopefully in the next couple hours I'll find out how it came out!

julweidn

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2018, 05:16:35 PM »
Mopping frequently is definitely adding quite a bit of time to your cook. My first shoulder I sprayed with apple juice/vinegar frequently and it definitely extended my cook time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
Friday cook - first time pork shoulder
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2018, 05:35:32 PM »
What is this mopping??

And I would suggest cutting your 8lb butt in half next time. It saves fuel, and time, AND adds more bark. I’ve done 8lb of butt in 5 hours at 230f and if I snake it, I never have to open the lid once. I never encounter this temp stall either.
Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 05:39:21 PM by Schaefd2 »
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.