Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Community Chicken  (Read 2806 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Community Chicken
« on: March 19, 2018, 12:58:39 PM »
And YOU get to contribute.

I've got 4 leg quarters in the fridge and let me tell you it's not easy finding a 4-legged bird. But there they were, all in the same package!

They've been rinsed, coated with Weber "Classic BBQ" spice, and slathered with Mae Ploy Sweet Chili Sauce.

So here's the basic question, and options as I see them:

1) Grill them as-is (i.e. on the grill grate)

2) Keep them in the SS pan they're in and add/do something to them. This pan fits nicely between two charcoal holders for example. Maybe some kinda sauce, cover and bake.

One way or another I plan to cook in an hour or two.

What say ye?

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
Re: Community Chicken
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 01:44:23 PM »
Looks like the sauce has sugar in it, (maybe the rub too?) so avoid too much direct heat early on. I'd be tempted to wipe most of it off, cook indirect for 40-50 mins, (maybe more - quarters are forgiving) then lay on the sauce (and maybe more rub?) for 5 or ten direct. I got dibs on the second quarter from the right.

Ye #1 has spoken!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 01:45:56 PM by 56MPG »
Retired

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 02:00:31 PM »
Thanks, Marty that sounds similar to what I would have done had I not already coated them. I am too much of a cheapskate to wipe it off however. Might just do it that regular way otherwise.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 02:20:39 PM »
My mom made chicken that braised in a sweet sauce bath in a pan on the grill then went direct at the end. It was really good. Might be an option if you can add more liquid.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 03:00:03 PM »
I just put 'em on the grill. I nixed the braising idea that initially brought me here because I figured a bit more sauce might have been good to add from the start but couldn't think of one. I do have more of the sweet chili stuff but it like has enough of that already.

I'm sure it'll be OK.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 05:25:17 AM »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 05:38:16 AM »
That looks delicious and perfectly cooked! 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 12:52:42 PM »
Looks yummy! Do you cook the corn indirect for the entire time the chicken is cooking? I need to learn how to cook multiple things at once
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 03:49:19 PM »
Very nice ! ! !   Looks like you've got a big fan there ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 05:26:52 PM »
Doesn't look like you needed any advice at all...

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 10:20:08 PM »
Mae Ploy is the best sweet and sour sauce, hands down. It's a little mild and very sweet to be a marinade, so I would use it as a glaze or dipping sauce instead.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2018, 04:51:24 AM »
Doesn't look like you needed any advice at all...

Indeed. And it appears you have at least one fan of your results...  :)
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Easy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2018, 11:18:53 AM »
Mae Ploy is good on many things  and is fairly cheap at asian stores like in Korean town off Kimball Av.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2018, 04:20:12 AM »
Looks yummy! Do you cook the corn indirect for the entire time the chicken is cooking? I need to learn how to cook multiple things at once

@Firemunkee
I cheated on the corn for this meal ... they were leftovers from a few days prior. I'd wanted the cobs but they weren't yet "in season enough" to show up in stores, so I had to resort to getting the frozen kind, which is why they are those half-cobs. At the time, I put them on indirect, frozen, and they turned out OK. I brushed with a melted butter/seasoning mix after a while.

The black marks are because I got bored and "reverse seared" them. Mostly a waste of time, and risky. We're talking seconds over the heat.

So for this meal I took them out of the fridge and just let 'em ride, towards the end of the chicken's run, about 5 mins or so. They should have been on there 10 mins at least; they were a little cold and soggy the second time around.

Normally we would not have room on a 22 for four regular-size cobs + meat, indirect, although I suppose if the meat was one chunk there'd be room. Now I'm forgetting how I normally do it ... It's all an experiment. Sometimes they get started too early and the kernels dry out, which is historically my mistake.

Cooking them in the husks helps against that, but will make it harder to butter/season while on the grill -> and that's one feature that sets them apart from say, boiling them on the stove. I suppose you could do them like baking potatoes are sometimes done. Season and wrap in foil and place them down in the basement to save room. I've never tried, but why not?

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2018, 04:26:18 AM »

I cheated on the corn for this meal ... they were leftovers from a few days prior. I'd wanted the cobs but they weren't yet "in season enough" to show up in stores, so I had to resort to getting the frozen kind, which is why they are those half-cobs. At the time, I put them on indirect, frozen, and they turned out OK. I brushed with a melted butter/seasoning mix after a while.

The black marks are because I got bored and "reverse seared" them. Mostly a waste of time, and risky. We're talking seconds over the heat.

So for this meal I took them out of the fridge and just let 'em ride, towards the end of the chicken's run, about 5 mins or so. They should have been on there 10 mins at least; they were a little cold and soggy the second time around.

Normally we would not have room on a 22 for four regular-size cobs + meat, indirect, although I suppose if the meat was one chunk there'd be room. Now I'm forgetting how I normally do it ... It's all an experiment. Sometimes they get started too early and the kernels dry out, which is historically my mistake.

Cooking them in the husks helps against that, but will make it harder to butter/season while on the grill -> and that's one feature that sets them apart from say, boiling them on the stove. I suppose you could do them like baking potatoes are sometimes done. Season and wrap in foil and place them down in the basement to save room. I've never tried, but why not?

Thanks for the reply! The corn in the basement sounds like an idea! I'll try that whenever corn starts showing up
Together we'll fight the long defeat.