Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Working on SS Performers- Gummi Bear build log, pic heavy  (Read 30041 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Working on SS Performers- Gummi Bear build log, pic heavy
« Reply #75 on: June 27, 2013, 07:02:34 AM »

Oh, absolutely......now what about headers & a nitrous tank?

I do see a tank; do we know if it's actually propane? Does the flame now get started with a red flip switch?

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #76 on: June 27, 2013, 07:05:43 AM »
I have also upgraded it with a standalone engine management system aka STOKER. Lol. I've never use it with the kettle but it sure would look cool on it
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #77 on: June 27, 2013, 07:19:39 AM »
PBE I like the mods. And I admire your willingness to adapt the grill to your needs.

Little worried about what would seem to be added stress on the leg posts as the new axles work to exert force on the enlarged holes.

I'm imagining an axle about 3-4 inches long for each side and brackets that come down to locate the other end of each axle from the horizontal frame member. You'd then have an opportunity to tie the bottom cage to that.

But yes I realize you wanted to get a working solution together for this week, and have!

I spent a few days researching alternative casters. These 2 1/2" "office chair" casters are a weak link in all Webers that use them despite not being heavily loaded. Long story short, I didn't find anything I liked. Added height was part of the reason; "real" casters seem to start at 3" but the best selection seems to start with 4" and bigger models and anyway, casters that use the same type of "push-in" mechanism are mostly the dinky little ones ...

How did you mount them? Did you use the same or similar type of insert? I seem to recall the stem on the original casters having like a 7/16" diameter post and the caster inserts being 1 1/2" square? Can you shed any light on this? Thanks.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #78 on: June 27, 2013, 08:43:34 AM »
PBE I like the mods. And I admire your willingness to adapt the grill to your needs.

Little worried about what would seem to be added stress on the leg posts as the new axles work to exert force on the enlarged holes.

I'm imagining an axle about 3-4 inches long for each side and brackets that come down to locate the other end of each axle from the horizontal frame member. You'd then have an opportunity to tie the bottom cage to that.

But yes I realize you wanted to get a working solution together for this week, and have!

I spent a few days researching alternative casters. These 2 1/2" "office chair" casters are a weak link in all Webers that use them despite not being heavily loaded. Long story short, I didn't find anything I liked. Added height was part of the reason; "real" casters seem to start at 3" but the best selection seems to start with 4" and bigger models and anyway, casters that use the same type of "push-in" mechanism are mostly the dinky little ones ...

How did you mount them? Did you use the same or similar type of insert? I seem to recall the stem on the original casters having like a 7/16" diameter post and the caster inserts being 1 1/2" square? Can you shed any light on this? Thanks.

ATS, I agree with you about the leg sockets. I knew I would need to drill it anyway so I went for it. For engineering types, the bigger wheel exerts additional moment on the hole, and they are cambered in due to weight and bearing tolerances. They also are farther out making the moment worse. I knew all that was gonna happen but it was a conscious decision based on cost, difficulty, and performance. I can always upgrade to a solid axle if it doesn't work out. Even drilled out the tube is very strong so I'm not worried about it breaking, just aesthetics and some minor misalignment issues that can be resolved with better mounting.

For the 5" casters with brake I used a 7/16" grip ring socket. It has two star nuts and a butt for square tube. If memory serves me right the ss tubes are 16ga 1 1/4" square. I'll link where I got it from but their website is down at the moment. It rolls and brakes amazingly. My performer is very heavy because of the tank, craycorts, and accessories in the bin. I used to have to pick it up like a wheelbarrow to move it but those days are over. The new wheel setup will roll away from you if you aren't paying attention on an incline  and forget to set the brake.

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #79 on: June 27, 2013, 09:12:38 AM »
Hinged extension. I haven't made the thing to hold it up yet though.

How about the shelf setup from an older (wood) Genesis? Might work nice.

Dude, relax your chicken.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #80 on: June 27, 2013, 10:37:53 AM »
Awesome, gummi. If you get a chance to post the link to the caster socket please do so.

I'd like to go that way too perhaps. I could always get the original plastic caster insert, which should continue to work OK for my lighter (stock) Performer but with maybe new 3" casters if I find some I like with the 7/16" grip ring post ...

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #81 on: June 27, 2013, 09:51:15 PM »
This is the caster socket with 2 star nuts I used. It fits almost perfectly.

http://apollocaster.com/store/1316-od-caster-socket-for-a-716-diameter-grip-ring-connector-89683-p-89683.html

There are also a ton of caster options there. It's overwhelming actually.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #82 on: August 25, 2013, 10:10:25 PM »
This weekend I did the inaugural cook on the SS even though it's only 85% complete. I picked up a roti, painted the frame, filled the gas up, bought a NIB weber cover, and fired up some pollo a la brasa this weekend. I can't find the Weber name plates at the moment.  :-[ I'll back update the progress one day.

To do:

polish aluminum bits
make a thing to hold up the extension
add more stainless panels
paint weber nameplates

edhead35

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #83 on: August 26, 2013, 04:04:04 AM »
This weekend I did the inaugural cook on the SS even though it's only 85% complete. I picked up a roti, painted the frame, filled the gas up, bought a NIB weber cover, and fired up some pollo a la brasa this weekend. I can't find the Weber name plates at the moment.  :-[ I'll back update the progress one day.

To do:

polish aluminum bits
paint weber nameplates

Loving the all terrain wheels.

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #84 on: August 26, 2013, 04:30:47 AM »
Those Uline green SJ shoes are pretty sharp too pb :D
Looking good so far , can't wait to see the finished product especially how you attach the fold down table
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #85 on: August 26, 2013, 05:39:19 AM »

Scary that this was my exact first thought.

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
Working on SS Performers- Gummi Bear build log, pic heavy
« Reply #86 on: August 26, 2013, 05:58:43 AM »

To do:

polish aluminum bits
paint weber nameplates

Nice job! Love those wheels. This would be a good upgrade possibility for a RK - much easier to move around.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #88 on: August 26, 2013, 10:47:31 AM »

Scary that this was my exact first thought.

Those are my Lime Birkenstock's! They were much cheaper than the normal colored ones so I bought them. Dr. says they are good for my posture.  ;D

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #89 on: August 26, 2013, 10:50:36 AM »
Lawrence...looking sharp!  (The grill that is, I won't say anything about you and your green shoes!  LOL) 
I'm looking forward to seeing how you hinge up that extension...I have a spare table in my parts collection!
Did you dip the lid bail in the rubber/plastic coating?  I don't think I noticed it in your most recent pics.
Kettle collector AND cooker!