Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Plainsman in the wild  (Read 3197 times)

Cellar2ful

Plainsman in the wild
« on: January 21, 2018, 07:04:45 PM »
Last weekend I spot this while driving to the rented beach house. 

What caught my eye was the MLH poking above the fence. I was coming from the other direction and could not see the kettle.  I spin the truck around and as I get closer, see that not only is it a MLH but it is a Plainsman.  I knock on the door and a woman answers. I ask her if she would be interested in selling the "old" BBQ that is in her front yard.  She tells me she is house sitting for the owner who is out of the country and will return on Wednesday.   I write my name and phone number on a piece of paper and ask her to give it to the owner upon his return.

Wednesday comes and goes, no call from the owner. 

Today (Sunday), I can't stand it any longer.  My wife and I jump in the truck and drive to the beach, about a 1 hour drive. I had some kettles for another member who lives along the route so I justified the trip by loading up the kettles for delivery.  After meeting with The Duke and transferring the kettles we head off to the beach.

We get to the house and the kettle is still in the front yard.  I knock on the door, no answer.  Crap! We decide to take a walk on the beach and try back a little later.

After taking an hour long walk on the beach collecting rocks for my wife's Kindness Rocks Project (she paints rocks with scenes and inspirational quotes then leaves them for others to discover), we return to the house.  Again, no one at home.  I write a note this time introducing myself and ask if I could purchase or trade a newer Weber BBQ for the owners old one.  I leave the note between the door and the jamb and drive home.

About 3 PM I receive a text from the owner saying the Weber is not for trade or sale.  He has a strong sentimental attachment to it as it belonged to his dad.  His dad had purchased it new in the 60's.  I text back that I respect and understand his wanting to keep his father's Weber. I asked him to keep my phone number in the event he ever changes his mind.

So, this Plainsman will remain in the wild for now.....................

Quite a coincidence that I score the Ambassador on Thursday and find a Plainsman on Saturday of the same week don't you think?

With @harris92 permission, I plan on having a print made of his Plainsman and will frame it and drop it at this guys house next time I travel to the beach.  I think he might appreciate having a photo of what it looked like in it's prime (not caddywhompus either).
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 08:28:41 PM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Plainsman in the wild
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 07:22:27 PM »
That’s incredible. It’s driving me nuts that the lid is not set firmly on the bowl. That’s a great idea and nice gesture to make a picture for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 07:33:14 PM »
I think it’s a shame just sitting out there like that. If I had something handed down to me like that from my father I’d be looking in all directions on how to restore and preserve it the best I could.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Bodhi

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 07:35:32 PM »
Great story! I guess some grills are best left in the wild. Especially when it's at the beach. I would love to hear how that lid was caved in. Those oldies were thick!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 07:37:15 PM by Bodhi »

jdorn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 10:23:13 PM »
Even though that beauty has been hammered, she still is beautiful... I'd still take her home, wine and dine her, and make her mine...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 03:58:29 AM »
Cool story and grill (4th Plainsman I've seen).  Feel free to share pictures.

Last weekend I spot this while driving to the rented beach house. 

What caught my eye was the MLH poking above the fence. I was coming from the other direction and could not see the kettle.  I spin the truck around and as I get closer, see that not only is it a MLH but it is a Plainsman.  I knock on the door and a woman answers. I ask her if she would be interested in selling the "old" BBQ that is in her front yard.  She tells me she is house sitting for the owner who is out of the country and will return on Wednesday.   I write my name and phone number on a piece of paper and ask her to give it to the owner upon his return.

Wednesday comes and goes, no call from the owner. 

Today (Sunday), I can't stand it any longer.  My wife and I jump in the truck and drive to the beach, about a 1 hour drive. I had some kettles for another member who lives along the route so I justified the trip by loading up the kettles for delivery.  After meeting with The Duke and transferring the kettles we head off to the beach.

We get to the house and the kettle is still in the front yard.  I knock on the door, no answer.  Crap! We decide to take a walk on the beach and try back a little later.

After taking an hour long walk on the beach collecting rocks for my wife's Kindness Rocks Project (she paints rocks with scenes and inspirational quotes then leaves them for others to discover), we return to the house.  Again, no one at home.  I write a note this time introducing myself and ask if I could purchase or trade a newer Weber BBQ for the owners old one.  I leave the note between the door and the jamb and drive home.

About 3 PM I receive a text from the owner saying the Weber is not for trade or sale.  He has a strong sentimental attachment to it as it belonged to his dad.  His dad had purchased it new in the 60's.  I text back that I respect and understand his wanting to keep his father's Weber. I asked him to keep my phone number in the event he ever changes his mind.

So, this Plainsman will remain in the wild for now.....................

Quite a coincidence that I score the Ambassador on Thursday and find a Plainsman on Saturday of the same week don't you think?

With @harris92 permission, I plan on having a print made of his Plainsman and will frame it and drop it at this guys house next time I travel to the beach.  I think he might appreciate having a photo of what it looked like in it's prime (not caddywhompus either).

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 06:14:12 AM »
Great story. You never know, maybe the photo gift will be enough of a reminder for the owner and he’ll release the real one to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 06:26:30 AM »
That is a gorgeous weathered warrior. I would like to have one like that one day, but I want it to be me doing all the weathering.
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 07:35:10 AM »
Awesome. Hope it winds up with you one of these days, @Cellar2ful.

That is a gorgeous weathered warrior. I would like to have one like that one day, but I want it to be me doing all the weathering.

Weathered warrior, yes... but this one is not a faded black... it is the original, true gray.
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 07:36:26 AM »
Man...I hope you get a chance to restore that @Cellar2ful...Would love to see it preserved.  Thanks for sharing!
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 08:02:40 AM »

Weathered warrior, yes... but this one is not a faded black... it is the original, true gray.
Yes, I am aware of that, thank you.
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2018, 08:12:34 AM »
Half the fun (for me anyway) is the chase. Great story and cool grill.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 08:24:41 AM »
Man...I hope you get a chance to restore that @Cellar2ful...Would love to see it preserved.  Thanks for sharing!

Great story. You never know, maybe the photo gift will be enough of a reminder for the owner and he’ll release the real one to you.

If the fellow ever decides to let go of it, it is in need of a @Hell Fire Grill type repair and restoration.  The lid handle is collapsed into the lid with dime size holes at both handle welds.  All the grate straps are gone with those characteristic 4 long holes in the bowl where the grate straps use to be.  Doable and definitely deserving of being saved though.  I plan on checking back with the guy once in a while.

Half the fun (for me anyway) is the chase. Great story and cool grill.

Agreed.  I have met some really interesting people and discovered some amazing places that I never would have known about had it not been for kettle chasing.

@harris92 - Thanks you.  Could you either PM me or post a photo of your Plainsman on this thread.  I have searched for a photo but the ones I find either have other kettles with it or have fallen victim to the Photobucket $$ grab.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 09:23:51 AM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

SixZeroFour

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2018, 09:02:35 AM »
“They do exist!” ... incredible find regardless of condition! Gives me hope there’s one out there for me someday. You are a rare kettle magnet these days Jim!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2018, 09:21:23 AM »
That thing is the prettiest beater I have seen!  Don't give up!  It took me almost 4 years to get my ranger!  You can do this!
"The Fairway" '74, 22” Turquose, 18" Red C code, 18" Blue DU code x2, Gen 2 Grass Green Performer, 26” Glen Blue, Spring Green, "Bone", Turquose, Blue Wave, Wedgewood Blue, “Smoke”, Crimson and Homer SJGs.  14" and 18" WSM

Grails (HELP!): IMPERIAL GLEN BLUE!