Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Eye of Round  (Read 1415 times)

tmartin

• Smokey Joe
Eye of Round
« on: December 04, 2017, 05:44:32 AM »
I like bargains, and when it comes to beef roasts the round is always a good one.  Picked up this small eye of round roast for about $6 and it will provide my small family with a few meals.  Eye of round is a very lean and potentially tough cut of meat if overcooked and sliced improperly but when done right it makes for a great meal on the cheap. 

I drybrined the roast first thing in the morning then added my homemade "beef rub".   I really like how this rub came out but I need to start writing these things down.  I know I started with one of meatheads recipes but have no recollection of what I added to it this time to make it stand out.  This particular roast was a little uneven so I trussed it up a bit to make a more consistent shape for a more even cook.

Decided to rotisserie it.  Last time I tried cooking a round on the rotisserie I used two charcoal baskets and overcooked it a bit so I decided to just go with a single this time and got much better results.  Usually I drop the roast down for a final sear but was in a hurry so just pulled it once the internal temp hit 135.  I put foil down thinking this would help to keep the bowl clean.  Shouldn't have bothered, only had a few drops on it which tells you how lean this roast is.  Cooked for about an hour with a chunk of oak on the coals.

The trick with round roasts is to cut it as thinly as possible to keep it tender, too thick and you'll definitely notice the extra chew.  The slices were nice and juicy and the doneness was right where I like it, the picture makes it look less pink than it was in person.  Served with fresh bread and vegetables.  Not bad for a couple bucks!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Eye of Round
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 06:54:36 AM »
...  Not bad for a couple bucks!

I agree, and been wanting to try it just like this. Takes patience to cut it thin if you don't have a slicer, which I do not.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Lumpy Coal

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 01:46:17 AM »
Looks good.  I’ll try that. I destroyed one last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 05:08:58 AM »
Lookin' goood! Yup, I like the eye of round roasts... good bang for the buck. Yer right, gotta slice them thin or you'll give yer jaws a workout. :)
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 09:47:24 AM »
...  Not bad for a couple bucks!

I agree, and been wanting to try it just like this. Takes patience to cut it thin if you don't have a slicer, which I do not.

Same here.  I've only tried the Eye a couple of times and have not been happy with the result.  For those with slicers, better knives, or just more skill (like @tmartin, obviously), enjoy ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 07:46:33 PM »
Eye of round is $7/lb around here 🤐

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

Bigmac

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 05:34:49 AM »
I looked at one of those the other day and thought about getting it,but I didn’t know how to cook it. That rotisserie looks great. I don’t have one of those yet,but maybe someday. Nice job,it looks delicious.

tmartin

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 06:26:03 AM »
Yeah I really wish I had a slicer so I could get those deli-thin slices of beef.  I can slice pretty well with a knife but my slices are a little too thick for a sandwich.  I do make sandwiches out of these and they taste great but you definitely have to chew a little more.