Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: WKC Asians  (Read 12549 times)

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: WKC Asians
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2018, 06:20:24 AM »
My girl and i are regularly  going out for Peking duck. It would be nice to make a good duck myself on the WSM / kettle. Since I can’t find a recipe to our liking I was hoping any of you have one and would be so kind to share it.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Don't want to discourage you but i have many Chinese friends, families and acquaintances but none of them even bother attempting to make peking duck. According to them it's just too time consuming and complicated process.  More like a 3-day process. Another issue is sourcing the proper type of a duck...a specific breed and age. That's why many Chinese restaurants require a 1 day reservation for peking duck. The only ones that have it regularly are those that specialize in it.
Chinese roast duck is a much more manageable to replicate.

Meh. Making Peking duck is no more difficult than making many of the common bbq dishes we make on the board. There is a certain reverence in the Chinese culture for certain foods ate outside of the home no matter how simple or complex they can seem. There is also a one-upsmanship for many dishes that no matter where you get it from its not as good as the one from that one special place in LA/Flushing/their hometown in China. It’s frustrating at times.  I say just give it a shot with what you have available. It will still be fun and tasty.

Your post does make a good distinction ablut roasted duck vs Peking duck. Peking duck is much harder to get the texture right, but in the worst case you’ll have roasted duck with Peking duck flavors.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2018, 02:55:40 AM »
I have not met a asian food I have not liked...yet. My son is in Vietnam trying all different style of bbq. He sends us pictures almost every day of different food he try’s. I know he’ll have me cooking some new stuff when he comes back next week.

We told him the temperature over here the other day -11 and he said it was cool by them +90. What a littl sh#t. Lol
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2018, 10:56:47 AM »
This woman has a Michelin starred food stand and pwns your wok and charcoal skills.

https://youtu.be/vv8LUSqT3JQ

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2018, 02:25:24 PM »
Good stuff gummi!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2018, 11:13:22 AM »
@pbe gummi bear   Great vid !!!   I watch the Utub vids of Asian Street cooks all the time  ...  love them  ...  make me too hungry though.  Never seen or heard of this genius, but it looks fantastic.   All of the regional soups are possibly my personal favorites (jjampong, for example).  Are we going to have an Asian or at least a Stir Fry kettle throw-down in the future ??????

Prizes could be 5th anniversary handles or some such..

SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2018, 01:22:36 PM »
@pbe gummi bear   Great vid !!!   I watch the Utub vids of Asian Street cooks all the time  ...  love them  ...  make me too hungry though.  Never seen or heard of this genius, but it looks fantastic.   All of the regional soups are possibly my personal favorites (jjampong, for example).  Are we going to have an Asian or at least a Stir Fry kettle throw-down in the future ??????

Prizes could be 5th anniversary handles or some such..

SJ

I like that idea! I can be one of the judges :D
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2018, 03:45:15 AM »
Thanks to this thread, my stir fry wasn’t watery. I did a low carb low sugar pork stir fry. I marinated the pork in soy, rooster, oil, and a dash of lemon. I cooked the meat on the griddle, then the family could pick and choose between a variety of fresh veggies then everything was made to order. Not all veggies fit in the pictures.

[attachment deleted by admin]

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2018, 08:36:51 AM »
Thanks to this thread, my stir fry wasn’t watery. I did a low carb low sugar pork stir fry. I marinated the pork in soy, rooster, oil, and a dash of lemon. I cooked the meat on the griddle, then the family could pick and choose between a variety of fresh veggies then everything was made to order. Not all veggies fit in the pictures.

Nice job, Hoosier

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2018, 06:44:57 AM »
Thanks gummi!  Stir fry is probably the healthiest meal I make. One of the few meals we will eat plenty of vegetables.

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2018, 09:42:39 AM »

Looks delicious!
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
WKC Asians
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2019, 04:58:11 PM »
Been awhile but I needed to work on my stir fry.

This was chicken thigh marinated in soy, honey, sriracha and stir fried with sweet peppers, cabbage, pineapple, garlic, a sweet chili sauce, soy, sesame oil.  I’m not Asian so my attempt must be judged accordingly [emoji12]

Low carb low sugar. I thought it was good.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 05:08:15 PM by HoosierKettle »

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2019, 09:06:55 PM »

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2019, 03:18:17 PM »
@pbe gummi bear     Just caught this youTube vid you posted, incredible voice and style.  When I feel nostalgic I love to re-read this Asian thread  ...  we never got the Asian for cook-off "off the ground" :(   Maybe later this year.   'Course none of us are getting any less busy...

SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

azbeeking

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2019, 08:26:00 PM »
Filipino and Chinese from my dads side here.  Lots of rice and pork growing up.  Rice with Thanksgiving dinner topped with gravy still blows away mashed potatoes any day.  My great grandfather claimed to be "allergic" to vinegar so our Adobo is real weird.

I remember going to my grandparents house and pulling up and there was a cow head on the porch flies all over it that my great grandpa had "dropped off" and we grabbed it and threw it on the grill.  Barely fit. 

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2019, 01:10:38 PM »
@pbe gummi bear     Just caught this youTube vid you posted, incredible voice and style.  When I feel nostalgic I love to re-read this Asian thread  ...  we never got the Asian for cook-off "off the ground" :(   Maybe later this year.   'Course none of us are getting any less busy...

SJ

Yes, an Asian theme cookoff would be awesome. 

I found this awesome Chinese cooking Youtube channel today. They make your favorite Chinese dishes look simple to make.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC54SLBnD5k5U3Q6N__UjbAw