Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: With a name like this, how could I NOT buy it?  (Read 1380 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
With a name like this, how could I NOT buy it?
« on: November 13, 2017, 11:39:35 AM »

These dudes are small, about 3/4" thick, but with good marbling. Couldn't pass them up for $4.29/lb

I had to Google them. First hit: "flatiron steaks with the center seam of cartilage intact." And, they have "a natural tenderness that rivals ribeyes and fillets."

You now have my attention.

Not sure how I'll cook them tonight, probably by using charcoal.  ::)
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
Re: With a name like this, how could I NOT buy it?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 12:52:12 PM »
Lol looking good

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 01:01:48 PM »
My dad used to by them occasionally. Flavor is good, but you have to cut around the cartilage, which rubs right down the middle of the meat.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 04:02:46 PM »
Turned out fine. Cooked them direct for a few minutes over medium-high heat (2 charcoal baskets that had been powering a big pack of pork tenderloin steaks.)

So there's no picture, because they just look like any other small steak that wasn't especially seared.

I'll be doing them again, for cost and tenderness that's really hard to beat! The cartilage to cut around didn't seem that big a deal. I actually have yet to do flanken, I don't know why.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 04:35:00 PM »
Turned out fine. Cooked them direct for a few minutes over medium-high heat (2 charcoal baskets that had been powering a big pack of pork tenderloin steaks.)

So there's no picture, because they just look like any other small steak that wasn't especially seared.

I'll be doing them again, for cost and tenderness that's really hard to beat! The cartilage to cut around didn't seem that big a deal. I actually have yet to do flanken, I don't know why.
Flat Iron steaks are a staple here...love em....I have not seen any called charcoal steaks though....but now I will be looking

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 05:56:08 PM »
I heard flat iron steaks can be a bit tricky. And the one I did was kind of tough. I imagine the charcoal steaks are the same way. What’s the trick?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 05:56:52 PM »
And that is some charcoal I’d love to find in my stocking come Christmas morning. Just don’t let em sit out all night ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 06:26:31 PM »
I heard flat iron steaks can be a bit tricky. And the one I did was kind of tough. I imagine the charcoal steaks are the same way. What’s the trick?

Disclosure: I am NOT a steak expert. My Thermapen towards the end was a big help. I was looking for 135 and pulled right about at that point.

Like I've said, I don't have any flat iron experience. They always look weird in the packaging to me. Small, thin, but laced with bone and whatever? What is that? Why bother? Guess I'll start to "bother," next time I see them.

These charcoal steaks ... again, that's the official name ... look like nicely marbled small steaks and thats just how they cook. Do them direct over whatever heat you desire. Medum-high up to searing temp, should work. I don't recall seeing marbling like this on anything that wasn't rib-eye.

They are thin and won't take long, but not nearly so thin like flank steak that only takes a heartbeat to cook. Takes a few minutes per side, pull 'em at 135 or 140 and they should be decently tender ... almost as if you paid twice as much.  ;D

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 06:32:37 PM »
One more thing. I had 2 charcoal baskets filled but not newly-filled. So they were still going nicely but no longer super hot overall. So even with the baskets, the heat is mostly centered in the middle of the basket, right? I mean, the coals wedged into the corners of the baskets are damn near DEAD by comparison, yeah?

So 3 little steaklets placed directly over them meant that they could not cook at the same rate. The middle one was done first, and the other 2 took another few minutes. Again, a good instant-read thermo helps here.