Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: acrid smoke  (Read 1566 times)

stev

• WKC Brave
acrid smoke
« on: November 09, 2017, 02:20:03 PM »
Picked up an 8lb pork shoulder today and plan to smoke it on a 22" with a snake. I've had some problems before with acrid smoke. Plan a chunk of hickory and apple for smoke. Should I place them on the cooking grate or will this cause more problems?

SixZeroFour

Re: acrid smoke
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 02:43:40 PM »
I would put it directly into the coals.

Where did you get the wood chunks from? Is it fresh cut? Or store bought like the Weber chunks?
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
acrid smoke
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 03:14:07 PM »
Did it produce a bad taste on the meat?  What were the symptoms of acrid smoke you experienced? 

I might be suffering from it and not know it.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 04:37:21 PM »
It’s my understanding that acrid smoke is produced because of restricted air. Basically smothering the fire. I’ve never encountered that, but I have had too much smoke rolling out the vents by having too much wood lighted at the same time. Either being too close together or something like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 06:16:25 PM »
This is some good info on smoke.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/zen_of_wood.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 06:27:11 PM »
stev -- top vent kept open, do as Six says and put the wood straight on the coals.

Put a few chunks early in the snake, but not clumped together. Adding smoke wood at the middle or end of the cook doesn't do nearly as much as adding it early, but I suspect most people include it throughout, regardless.

Here's one of several times when the snake was discussed : http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/what-post-best-describes-the-snake-method/
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

stev

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 05:25:31 AM »
I have always left top vent wide open. I suspect that I had too much smoking wood when I experienced the acrid taste. I'll try one chunk of hickory and a couple apple chunks early in the cook. Because it's only 15 degrees out right now, I may finish indoors after smoking for a couple hours. Anyone ever tried a crock pot to bring to pulling stage?

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 06:03:40 AM »
If your smoking temps were relatively low, your final pulling temp can be lower. If cooked faster/higher, then the meat's internal temp will have to go longer before it's as tender. The ending temperature spread may be as wide as 10-20 degrees internally, from what I understand.

The timing of all that may impact if you keep going low and slow indoors (crock pot) versus hitting it with more heat (oven).

I think the moral of the story here is that it's not easy to rush BBQ. Time saved in one place tends to become time used elsewhere.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
acrid smoke
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 06:07:23 AM »
I’ve finished cooking in the oven wrapped tightly in a pan and that works well. It steams the bark a little bit it does work. A buddy of mine finishes in a crock pot and it’s always very good.

stev

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 06:33:06 AM »
Ok, crock pot finish it is. Next question, rub overnight, brine or inject?

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
acrid smoke
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 06:57:32 AM »
I haven’t tried brining yet. I injected one and couldn’t tell the difference.

I like to hit it with a few splashes of Eastern North Carolina sauce and a dash of rub once pulled for extra flavor.

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 07:25:37 AM »
put the wood straight on the coals.

Put a few chunks early in the snake, but not clumped together. Adding smoke wood at the middle or end of the cook doesn't do nearly as much as adding it early,

this!
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;