Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Florida Meet Up possibility just came up  (Read 12995 times)

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
Florida Meet Up possibility just came up
« on: November 09, 2017, 08:58:57 AM »
If anyone is interested, the Florida BBQ Association (FBA) is having its annual "Fun Cook" Dec. 8-9 in Winter Haven FL. It's at a nice location, all outdoors, with 20 and 30amp hookups. Bring your camper, tent, moho, whatever and your kettles. You can sign up and just hang out the whole time. I can be sure that any WKC people are next to each other and we can geek out on our kettles Friday and Saturday. I think we have to leave out Sunday morning. Think of it as a full weekend Weber - Fest. Or if you don't have a camper just bring your kettles and set up at my place, then get a hotel room nearby.

All are welcome. I will be there and I think I will try to compete in the 4 categories (chicken, ribs, pork butt, and brisket) using my kettles. If you want to try your hand at competition sign up for a category or two. Or all 4. It's usually about a $25 entry per category. Or don't sign up for any and just "Relax and Weber On". I will be there for sure. It's sure to be a great time.

Tag someone who might want to come.
@FunDad62 @Armedvet  @Againstben   @RadRacer @grill-a-dict @Plant_City_Mike  @Mr.CPHo
@Woody @Wingman @chiku18 @WinterGardenSmoker @GaryRivera @mistrtj @iwilli4 @guitarfish @JEBIV
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Re: Florida Meet Up possibility just came up
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 09:00:18 AM »
[emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 10:46:56 AM »
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

chiku18

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 06:35:47 AM »
Thanks @Rub . I am planning/thinking to join (not sure I can compete :) with experts) this event.
Looking for Colored 18 MBH

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 06:51:18 AM »

Thanks @Rub . I am planning/thinking to join (not sure I can compete :) with experts) this event.
Excellent! I’ll be happy to give you a crash course there to tell you what the judges look for if you want. Or I have a full blown 2 day course this weekend at the same venue. Regardless you’ll have a good time. Lmk how I can help.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

RiverCity BBQ

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 03:19:39 PM »
Flamingo lake BBQ competition is another FBA event and it's this coming weekend in Jacksonville Florida. I'll be cooking there.

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 07:46:56 PM »
Flamingo lake BBQ competition is another FBA event and it's this coming weekend in Jacksonville Florida. I'll be cooking there.
Good luck! I'm doing the KCBS contest in Plant City this weekend.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 01:33:39 AM »
Oh man I'd love to go to one of these events.  Do they have any in early April?
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

RiverCity BBQ

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 10:09:13 AM »
Good luck! I'm doing the KCBS contest in Plant City this weekend.

Thanks! Good luck to you too! 

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 07:12:19 PM »
Oh man I'd love to go to one of these events.  Do they have any in early April?
Here is the link for the FBA events: http://fbabbq.com/events/
KCBS events: https://www.kcbs.us/events

Let me know if you head to one in the FL/SE area.

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 06:22:02 AM »
I’ll drive down from Jax to hang out on Saturday.  Maybe I’ll bring SJ-120 and some other favorite rarities.  (Requests welcome and open to trades). 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2017, 10:16:34 AM »
not sure when the wife and I will arrive, it may be just me if she has to work. sometime Friday midday
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2017, 07:07:50 AM »
Pictures please!
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2017, 06:32:11 PM »
I have been in touch with the FBA and apparently they have had very little response for the Fun Cook this year. They have been contemplating cancelling it and are discussing it right now. At best it will go on, but with a small contingency of teams. Likely 5-7 at most. In the past it has been 20-25 teams. I'm not sure what the problem is this year. I don't think the planning was the best on their part. If it does go on and happens, it will be obviously a much smaller group there. If you were coming hoping to see lots of teams and rigs, there may only be 5-7.....

**Just got the email, it is still on. It is a much smaller group with only maybe 10 teams present. However if you are interested in BBQ this may be a great source of knowledge and talent, with a very casual atmosphere. With such a small group there won't be much to see as I had thought. But if you're coming mostly to meet a few other WKC guys, that's just fine. I work Friday and probably won't get to the Club until 4:30pm or so. I can bring a handful of kettles. We could plan on grilling some dinner for ourselves if you want as well. I'll be staying onsite in my bbq trailer and cooking overnight for bbq turn ins on Saturday. If anyone wants to bring their RV, you can stay onsite as well. There is 30amp hookups and water. It would cost $50 which gets you one entry into the contest. Chicken, ribs, pork, or brisket. All 4 would be $200 which is what I'm doing. I'm happy to share what I don't turn in for judging with our group on Saturday. Both Friday and Saturday nights I would expect to be spent around a campfire with adult beverages being consumed. If you're planning on bringing kids I don't think there will be anything specifically planned for them. There is a playground there and a lakefront.

So with the updated info, let me know who is coming and if you're staying onsite or off, or just for a day. There are a few chain hotels within 6-7 miles of the site. Depending on who's doing what, I could plan a few grilled meals for us to all help prepare. Or each could grill their own specialty app. or whatever. So who's in? @Mr.CPHo  @JEBIV @chiku18 @Plant_City_Mike @FunDad62 @Armedvet  @Againstben   @RadRacer @grill-a-dict
@Woody @Wingman @chiku18 @WinterGardenSmoker  @GaryRivera @mistrtj @iwilli4 @guitarfish

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2017, 06:48:36 PM »
I forgot to mention while the meetup may not be great for kids, we do have LEGOLAND FL here. It's less than 10 miles away from where we'll be. They also have their own hotel and "Beach" resort.

Other hotels: The Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn are right next to each other and are probably the newest/nicest. Maybe 5-6 miles from the site. Lots of mom and pop places, stay at your own risk. Here's a list I found. I can't vouch for the ranking though.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g34746-Winter_Haven_Florida-Hotels.html