Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Montreal-style smoked meat anyone ?  (Read 1759 times)

The_Masteres

• Smokey Joe
Montreal-style smoked meat anyone ?
« on: November 08, 2017, 04:06:47 AM »
I see many Canadian members in this forum, but never came accross any post about the famous montreal style smoked meat.

I have lived in Montreal several years ago, and I was eating almost every week at the famous Schwartz's Deli (don't miss it if you go to Montreal). Pic below.

I have found some recipes on google, but wonder if any of you guys already tried it with the weber kettle ?

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Montreal-style smoked meat anyone ?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 05:11:11 AM »
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

The_Masteres

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 05:33:32 AM »
Interesting, had never heard of that. Unless, I have ... ? http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/06/difference-between-pastrami-smoked-meat-katzs-schwartzs-mile-end.html

I think the main differences between montreal smoked meat and pastrami are the beef cut and the steaming at the end of the process making the meat much tender.

One interesting recipe below:

http://www.meatwave.com/blog/montreal-smoked-meat-recipe

Schwartz's say they have a secret recipe though for the cure and rub.

The_Masteres

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 05:46:37 AM »
Interesting, had never heard of that. Unless, I have ... ? http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/06/difference-between-pastrami-smoked-meat-katzs-schwartzs-mile-end.html

Just read the whole article, it appears indeed pretty close to NY Katz pastrami :)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 05:54:46 AM »
Wait a second, is this another thing like Canadian bacon that we call ham [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

The_Masteres

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 06:09:29 AM »
Wait a second, is this another thing like Canadian bacon that we call ham [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

LOL seems like I touched the nerved-ends ... waiting for canadians views on the subject :)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 06:28:08 AM »
From glancing at my own link above, it seems less like a Canadian-American convict and more like a Jew-Gentile one. :)
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

The_Masteres

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 07:15:50 AM »
From glancing at my own link above, it seems less like a Canadian-American convict and more like a Jew-Gentile one. :)

Yep that's right :)

Anyway, thx to your comments I could do a research on the forum which gave more pertinent results about "similar" montreal style pastrami recipes :) (I researched "katz") :

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/slown-sear-pastrami/msg203954/#msg203954

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 08:50:42 AM »
I'm not really a fan of Montreal smoked meat, but when I am in Montreal, I do make a point of having at least one meal at Mr. Steer which is on St. Catherine St. at Drummond.  Not a long walk from Peel station on the Metro.  It's their burgers that I model my home made ones after.

One of my American friends ordered Canadian bacon at a diner in New Jersey years and years ago after I told him not to because I couldn't imagine a crappy diner in New Jersey getting peameal bacon right.  What he got was a circular slice of some kind of processed ham that looked like it was mostly fat.  Apparently it was pretty awful.  I got him real peameal bacon here on his next visit up and he loves it and gets it every time he visits.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 01:23:38 PM »

Never made it … Eaten lots of it.  It's fantastic!

I have been curious about making it, but I am pretty sure that the ingredients and methods that are kept in a vault …
Being somewhat facetious, but I may not be far off-base. 

Just go with whatever info you can find on the internet and report back if you attempt making it.  :D

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

The_Masteres

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2017, 02:05:48 PM »

Never made it … Eaten lots of it.  It's fantastic!

I have been curious about making it, but I am pretty sure that the ingredients and methods that are kept in a vault …
Being somewhat facetious, but I may not be far off-base. 

Just go with whatever info you can find on the internet and report back if you attempt making it.  :D

I will attempt for sure  ;D And I’ll let you know how it goes.

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2017, 02:27:34 PM »
What is this and why am I just learning about it? That looks awesome!! I thought it was corned beef at first. Dammit I wanna cook that now.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.