Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pollo ala Brassa, aka 'Peruvian Chicken'  (Read 22456 times)

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: Pollo ala Brassa, aka 'Peruvian Chicken'
« Reply #90 on: November 03, 2017, 06:37:42 AM »
Wow.  Not sure how I never saw this post before today.  Really cool that Anthony Bourdain randomly went in El Pollo Rico.  I made sure to stop by there in September when I was in DC for a friends wedding.  Same amazing chicken as usual.  I'll have to try out the recipes posted on the first few pages of this thread.

Here is the recipe that I finally found that I think if the closest to El Pollo Rico that I've tried so far.
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/08/peruvian-style-grilled-chicken-with-green-sauce-recipe.html
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #91 on: November 03, 2017, 06:39:57 AM »
Here’s proof I was there!  [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #92 on: November 03, 2017, 07:13:06 AM »
Dang it, now I'm hungry. I was there with a couple fellas last Friday. Really good eats. Thanks for the link - I'll put this one on the short list.
Retired

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #93 on: November 07, 2017, 10:31:13 AM »
Hey, @addicted-to-smoke , I am sorry for the confusion. 

I have two sources of heat-- a major one, and a minor one. 

The major source is the one I cook the chicken with-- charcoal baskets positioned right *next to* the chicken.  If you've been able to scrounge up a couple of the old school wire-style charcoal baskets, you have the best situation.  I set mine on top of a beater cooking grate to hold them up next to the chicken. 

The minor source of heat is just for flavor.  I realized that one of the key flavor components of pollo a la brasa is the smoke created from the chicken fat/juices falling off the birds.  So I put a very small charcoal pile all the way down on the regular cooking grate.  Not a huge fire, just one big enough to be soaked with chicken juices for about 40 minutes before it's finally snuffed out.  This doesn't really add much heat to the fire (especially since it's constantly hit with liquids) but it does make some really yummy smoke.  When I figured this out I was that much closer to the real thing. 
One of the charcoal people.