Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My last daylight evening cook for a while  (Read 1381 times)

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
My last daylight evening cook for a while
« on: November 04, 2017, 02:32:31 PM »
Hey all, daylight is fading with the season. Tonight is the last time I'll be grilling without a headlamp for a while. Pork ribeyes wrapped in bacon sounded good.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
Re: My last daylight evening cook for a while
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 02:57:05 PM »
Yum with horseradish and baked beans!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 03:15:28 PM »
Those look delicious!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 07:09:25 PM »
Looks yummy! I've been grilling with a headlamp for several weeks now, at least at the end of the cook. After tonight it will be all the time :(
Together we'll fight the long defeat.

TheKevman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 08:09:35 PM »
Do you guys have a certain headlamp/grill lamp you prefer? I’ve always just used a flashlight.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
A man who has an experience is never at the mercy of a man who has just a theory.

Grillagin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 08:57:54 PM »
Do you guys have a certain headlamp/grill lamp you prefer? I’ve always just used a flashlight.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I bought this energizer headlamp a few years ago. It does the job and frees up the hands.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 07:39:28 AM »
There are so many decent LED headlamps today that you can hardly go wrong with any of them, for the purposes of needing a little temporary light at the grill.

I recently picked up a Coast HL27 at Tractor Supply. $45. With Prime, you can get it a few bucks cheaper, https://www.amazon.com/Focusing-HL27-330-Lumen-Headlamp/dp/B00BHVNKNA

It lacks the cachet of using a Cree bulb but I honestly do not care. There’s more to LED lighting than having a Cree bulb …

Product page: https://coastportland.com/product/hl27/

My goals were:
- at least 250 lumens
- easily and infinitely adjustable output
- NO insipid flashing or strobe sequence every time you turn it on/off!
- relatively smaller light enclosure
- usage: working on vehicles and grilling

So the price was a stretch for me (I really only wanted to spend $20) but it’s turned out be a great headlamp, and most of the $20 models didn’t seem to quite be all I wanted.

Often, some neat features aren’t immediately apparent when comparing packaging in the store. :)

With the HL27, I later discovered the beam can be focused to flood vs. spot, and that the beam can be pointed downward, and that it can left ON, and it’ll automatically turn off when you take it off.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Firemunkee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 03:00:42 PM »
I agree with the assessment above. Any LED headlamp I would expect to be okay. Other features to consider are what type of battery does it need (cell or AA/AAA), tilting, and a focus ring to narrow or widen the beam. I got mine from Costco as it was a 2 pack and on sale for $20

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 04:28:50 PM »
The days are definitely getting shorter, aren't they?   Those pork chops look good.

I bought a package of three flashlights and two headlamps from Canadian Tire a while ago.  It was one of their house brands but was about $30 for the set and they've been working well.  It beats hauling out a clamp lamp or lighting up the whole back yard when it isn't necessary.