Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Polishing cast iron?  (Read 11748 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Polishing cast iron?
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2018, 02:49:48 AM »
That finex is not for me. The price on all of these “premium” cast iron skillets is ridiculous and in no ways near worth it imo.

If you had to have a smooth finish, you can spend five minutes and sand a lodge. Hell, you could buy the sander and the skillet for MUCH less money lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 11:05:57 AM by HoosierKettle »

jd

• WKC Brave
Re: Polishing cast iron?
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2018, 10:49:15 AM »
the finex is to much money for me, my lodge skillets and dutch ovens works great and season them with flax seed oil  and they have a great layer of seasoning
22.5 Copper kettle
Blue Performer
Copper Performer

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2018, 02:58:08 PM »
Grizzly skillets are modeled after Finex. Way to pricey for most regular people.

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2018, 08:26:48 PM »
Lol I have a hard time pulling the trigger on a $12 lodge skillet at home goods let alone 270 for one

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2018, 06:38:47 AM »
Lol I have a hard time pulling the trigger on a $12 lodge skillet at home goods let alone 270 for one

I agree. Cast iron is 100% technique and care and maintenance. You can’t buy your way into being good using cast iron. 

Get that lodge and have fun learning how to master it.  And it doesn’t take years to develop great seasoning. It takes an hour when done correctly and a proper continuing routine.

My lodge is two weeks old. This morning I scrambled two eggs using two 1/8” pats of butter. My utensil was a rubber spatula. You can tell there was no sticking from this picture. Imo, once you can scramble eggs with no sticking in cast iron, you close to figuring it out. I have more to learn but I’m off to a good start.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 01:09:15 PM by HoosierKettle »

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2018, 07:03:57 AM »

I agree. Cast iron is 100% technique and care and maintenance. You can’t buy your way into being good using cast iron. 

Get that lodge and have fun learning how to master it.  And it doesn’t take years to develop great seasoning. It takes an hour when done correctly and a proper continuing routine.

My lodge is two weeks old. This morning I scrambled two eggs using two 1/8” pads of butter. My utensil was a rubber spatula. You can tell there was no sticking from this picture. Imo, once you can scramble eggs with no sticking in cast iron, you close to figuring it out. I have more to learn but I’m off to a good start.

I have 2 now one with a ribbed bottom and one regular one. I used sesame seed oil and my oven to season it. I havnt used it in while. I'll habe to break it out one of these days

nolch01

• WKC Ranger
Polishing cast iron?
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2018, 08:22:03 AM »
I definitely recommend stripping and seasoning on a grill. I have used my Genesis e310 with great success with old CI.  Also gives me an excuse to reseason the grates. 

Also recommend Crisco or basic oil.  Warm CI, thin layer of oil, wipe clean, season and repeat several times.   The wipe down before baking is very important to the CI not coming out sticky.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 08:24:38 AM by nolch01 »

Creep Life

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2018, 06:40:55 PM »
My stargazer is super smooth also my finex as well.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2018, 04:07:05 AM »
All my cast iron is antique Griswold and Wagner, picked up thru the years. All seasoned and well taken care of.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2018, 08:09:12 AM »

All my cast iron is antique Griswold and Wagner, picked up thru the years. All seasoned and well taken care of.

I have been keeping an eye out. I do plan on picking up some old pieces.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2018, 08:15:35 AM »

I have been keeping an eye out. I do plan on picking up some old pieces.

All my stuff came from antique stores, flea markets, garage sales, yard sales... ya' just gotta keep yer eyes open. Can't beat it, and it all was cheap!  8)
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Polishing cast iron?
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2018, 07:22:37 AM »
Been using the lodge skillet daily for two months and have done everything from deep frying to baking. This picture makes the surface look very rough but it is smooth when you run your finger across and has a great nonstick seasoning. After using it extensively for two months, I can say that it is an excellent pan that I enjoy using.

Looks are deceiving. The picture is almost offensively rough looking lol

« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 07:30:11 AM by HoosierKettle »

julweidn

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2018, 09:09:55 AM »
Bought my first cast iron skillet about a month ago and have prob used it 10x. The wife was ready to toss it bc everything was sticking, but the last few times it has worked great.

I seasoned it initially using my grill, but maybe I didnt go hot enough. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Polishing cast iron?
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2018, 09:36:38 AM »
The skillet really shouldn’t stick even when new. If eggs start sticking then clean a warm pan in hot water. Use wooden or plastic scraper if needed. Lightly coat the warm pan with vegetable oil and place upside down in a 450 degree oven (or grill) for half hour then turn it off and let it cool in the oven. I use the oven to season because it’s easier and I haven’t experienced much smoke or smell that everyone talks about. Next time you use it, food won’t stick. Wipe the pan out or even clean with hot water after every use then pour a quarter size amount of vegetable oil in the pan and wipe it in good and bring the pan just to the smoking point and turn the burner off. It will be ready to go for the next time. Cast iron is all about routine. It sounds like a lot of work but it’s not bad at all.

In my experience, most wives don’t have the patience and prefer their non stick pan.

We have both. Having both is nice because you can do high heat searing and frying in the cast iron and do more delicate stuff in the non stick. This will make your non stick pan last longer too.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 09:40:20 AM by HoosierKettle »

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2018, 10:09:28 AM »
My wife hates when i use the pans inside cuz they still smoke and smell. I use them on the grill alot. Just got a new one i need to break in with something soon