Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 1st Weber Gasser & Restore  (Read 3599 times)

i_rivera90

• Happy Cooker
1st Weber Gasser & Restore
« on: October 04, 2017, 12:18:41 PM »
Hello! This is my first post. I have been lurking about for 2 weeks or so, just joined and am looking to buy my first Weber and it is going to be a restore project. I am torn between 2 options I have been looking at on CL.

The 1st, I have identified as a Weber Summit Gold B LP:

Weber Summit Gold B" border="0

I can actually get this one for free and take it from there.
I'm guessing that at worst, I'll need a 6-burner kit, Flavorizers, ignition kit, cooking grates & two caster wheels.
All in with the exception of cleaning materials... I'm estimating $379.95

The 2nd, I need help identifying; (I'm guessing Weber Genesis 3 LP) **Can Anyone confirm?***

Weber Genesis" border="0

The seller is asking $50 for this one.
Looks to me like it just needs some cleaning.
It could need some of the parts I could need for the Summit, but they would be cheaper.

I'm looking to start this with either one this weekend and I am absolutely torn. What do you guys recommend or suggest? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 10:13:34 AM by i_rivera90 »

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
Re: 1st Weber Gasser & Restore
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 01:12:30 PM »
Welcome the Club, @i_rivera90! Head over to the "Introduce Yourself" section and say Hi!

I believe the 2nd one is a Genesis 4000.  Not positive on the "4000" part, might be a 3000 or 5000. @LightningBoldtz might be able to help with that.  Pretty sure later generations of this grill was called a Genesis Silver C.  I've restored a few of these. Replacement parts are relatively easy to come by, and shouldn't set you back too much. On both, be sure to check the frame stability (rust, etc).

Personally, I prefer the classic look of the Genesis. The Summit is definitely a nice grill. I just like the aesthetics of the wood/thermoset slat shelves on that Gennie over the thermoset shelves on the Summit.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 01:15:29 PM by Bob BQ »
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

chiku18

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 06:34:36 PM »
Welcome to club and good to see another Floridian ( that too close to Tampa )

Parts for summit is not very easy to get .please do check all the parts you need and make sure it’s available . Since it’s free it can’t hurt much to acquire and look .

Second one does look Genesis 5000 with side burner ( if it has two rows of flavorizer bars ) and parts are easy to get all over the net .

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Looking for Colored 18 MBH

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 07:11:18 PM »
I go with what's behind door number 2. A six burner is too large for everyday use. The parts are too hard to get. And I am not a fan of the thermoplastic tables or the brushed stainless on that summit.
Option 2 is red/burgundy, has readily available parts,more than likely has stainless steel guts, and I am not positive but it may have double flavorizer bars also. I would need to see another picture or two. All the slats can be restored or replaced with wood if you would like.
And they still sell alot of accessories for them. The baskets for the lid are nice too. 8 or 10 potatoes in the top of the lid if it is the right year.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 07:56:21 PM by Kneab »
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 07:33:45 PM »
When did Weber stop using two layers of Flavorizers for Genesis? That plum looks like it has the deep cookbox.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 07:53:16 PM »
After looking at it again I say it has double bars.
The box does look deep.
I would drop 50 on that.
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 08:49:14 PM »
@i_rivera90 Take the second one and never look back if you're practical. Parts are cheap & readily available and it will meet most of your cooking needs. Take the first one if you want the best and can spare the money (or skills) to replace (or make) parts for it.

Personally, I would take the 1st but I am very handy. Grills like that don't come around very often.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 06:35:45 AM »
It really depends on your needs.  Do you regularly have 10 or more people over and grill for them?  Or along with proteins, do you grill up various side items?

As you have shown the Summit will be expensive to fix, but for around $400 you will have a hell of a grill that will kick out large volumes of food.

One thing to look at on the Summit is the front side of the cookbox.  It's made of stamped steel and has a tendency to rust where the burner tubes poke through.   To check it, you need to remove all the guts from inside the grill to see the inside, and also the front control panel to see the outside.

If there is some rust, it's not a complete deal breaker.  It all depends on how bad it is as there are ways to treat it and convert it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2017, 06:46:39 AM »
Btw, check with Weber directly for parts their pricing might be better, but they also only charge $7 flat rate for shipping on an order. 

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2017, 06:56:51 AM »
Btw, I believe option 2 is a Genesis 4000 series

i_rivera90

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2017, 12:37:24 PM »
I ended up missing out on the Genesis 3000 or 4000 by an hour or so. A little bummed out buy i'm sure something else like it will pop up. I'm still really intrigued by the other local option.

The guy giving away the Summit Gold B is actually the original owner. He bought it in 2003 or 2004, here in town. He says the insides are all rusted out. So i know burners and flavorizers need to be replaced. He did mention that her used is a few months back.

nitis

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2017, 06:08:48 PM »
I have/had both of those. The summit isn't a solid box like the genesis and likely the front steel panel connecting the two aluminum ends of the firebox is what is rusted out. Likely the burners are ok I had to replace the crossover tubes on mine. Parts aren't cheap but depending on the situation you could get 5 or more years of service out of it

The deep box that take 13 bars are my favorite quality parts I wouldn't call cheap but if you are looking for a grill that will hold up and look classic that's the way to go. As clean as that one is $50 is a deal if that's what your looking for if you're in the right place eventually you'll get a free one

Burners $40-50
Flavors $70ish
Grates $90? For solid SS rod from rcplane on eBay??

I just scored a NG silver b for free the other night. Just gotta lay in wait

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
2 Genesis A summit Gold B a Performer a homemade cabinet pellet smoker and a big piece of pipe buried in the ground

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2017, 07:41:28 PM »
Since the Summit belongs to a friend of yours, maybe you could go over and check it out?  Take a bunch of pics and post them?  Especially inside the firebox.   Start with lid open and everything in place.  Then remove grates and take another picture.  Then remove flavorizers and take another.   Be sure to get good shots of front and rear of the firebox, both inside and out.

One thing to consider is that some of the parts of the Summit might still be under warranty and Weber might have them in stock.   

i_rivera90

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2017, 10:07:03 AM »
I ended up getting the Summit Gold B yesterday since I missed out on that particular Genesis. Cool thing about the grill was that it was owned by the founder and owner of a distillery that makes a world renowned Rum. His home is situated right on the gulf coast and this grill has sat in the backyard uncovered for over a decade. It has spotting from salt water splashing up on the grill. He said it ran him about $2500 when he bought it and he hasn't done anything to it. I'm surprised it's not in worse shape.

The casters broke when he was trying to move it before the hurricane made its way to FL and decided he was done with it. He bought a brand new Genesis II LX E-440 before putting the Summit up on CL for free. (Millionaire problems)

I'm going to give it a real good cleaning, buy some propane and figure out what is working and what is not. Then I'll decide what I'll start buying for it. It's also not as big as it thought it would be.

Here are some pics of it:

Summit Full" border="0
Front

Summit Left" border="0
Left

Summit Right" border="0
Right

Summit Side Burner" border="0
Side Burner

Summit Storage" border="0
Storage

Summit Racks" border="0
Racks/Lid

Summit Grates" border="0
Grates

Summit Flavorizers" border="0
Flavorizers

Summit Burners" border="0
Burners
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 10:12:18 AM by i_rivera90 »

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2017, 01:09:49 PM »
Before buying anything at all, i'd take the front control panel off and check out the outside of the front of the firebox.   Would then check out the inside of the front of the firebox as well.  From the last picture, I can see deterioration/corrosion/rust.  If the firebox is toasted, it might not be worth putting any money into it.   

FWIW, the design of the grill and the placement of the cross over tubes calls for special type of flavorizer bars, and they are expensive, probably $150 or more IIRC.   This model used a centralized ignition system with a distribution block, and it will probably run you $40 plus.   The bottom panel appears to be in somewhat rough shape, but it might be salvageable.  You might be able to treat it with a rust converter and then paint it. 

Seriously, really check the thing out and do some pricing on parts.   Summits can be a money pit when it comes to restoring them.