Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Continuing my wsm progression  (Read 3674 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Continuing my wsm progression
« on: September 24, 2017, 02:09:41 PM »
No water pan baby back this time. I'm guessing it would be similar to hanging without a water pan?  About 1.5 hours in and wsm holding rock steady at 260. The wsm chooses its favorite temp to sit at not me. Today it's 260 and that works. I used 1 full chimney weber coal and 1/2 chimney lit weber coal. I started off with a couple half racks on the lower grate but after an hour I could tell the underside was getting too dark. I placed them on the top rack. Simple s and p rub with a little Tony's so no sugar in the rub. Looking forward to how these turn out.

2.5 hours in

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 02:42:21 PM by HoosierKettle »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 03:52:17 PM »
Not sure why but these were my most tender yet.  They fell off the bone. And were juicy.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 03:57:40 PM »
Looks good man. Did they cook quicker without the pan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Continuing my wsm progression
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 04:21:33 PM »

Looks good man. Did they cook quicker without the pan?

I don't know to be honest. I think I've only done ribs on the wsm with the water pan once and I don't remember. Not sure why but the no water pan seemed more tender by far hour for hour. Total cook time for the majority of the ribs was 3.5 hours at 260.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 04:41:53 PM »
Cool. They do look great bud

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 05:23:12 PM »
Cool. They do look great bud

Thanks. No sauce so they don't have that good glazed look. I was going for dry rub flavor on these.  The wife and daughter really liked them. They are my toughest customers. I did spritz with apple juice cider vinegar frequently.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 05:33:31 PM »
I'd like to try a no sauce method at home sometime. I've only had it once in Memphis at a popular BBQ joint, and the rub was severely over cooked. I'll have to try this.
Thanks.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 05:49:42 PM »
Those look delicious!

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 05:54:25 PM »
They look really good HoosierKettle.  I need to do some ribs again soon once we're all done being sick. And if it gets cold I'd like to try my hand at some brisket smoked baked beans. It should NOT be 90 in September in Ohio.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 01:17:39 AM »
I hope you all get well soon @kettlebb

These were great as far as texture and tenderness. Flavor is good but they are missing that sweetness. I made them for dinner tonight so we all just sampled last night. I will sauce them tonight.

MDurso

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 06:17:18 AM »
Looks good.  Nothing wrong with having another method available depending on your mood, style, what you cook, the weather, etc..
Inventor of things: labelers, automation, currency and counterfeit, cooking, gaming, tech industry, and medical.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2017, 01:13:05 PM »
@HoosierKettle, for ribs, I do use the water pan, but it's just as a deflector (no water in the pan, just foil for easy clean-up).  Also, it's been a couple of years since I've cooked Baby Backs.  But it does seem 3½ hours is a great time.  It takes me about 4½ for St. Louis.

Oh, and I'll a half-rack if you have any leftovers ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2017, 01:29:34 PM »
@HoosierKettle, for ribs, I do use the water pan, but it's just as a deflector (no water in the pan, just foil for easy clean-up).  Also, it's been a couple of years since I've cooked Baby Backs.  But it does seem 3½ hours is a great time.  It takes me about 4½ for St. Louis.

Oh, and I'll a half-rack if you have any leftovers ! ! !

BD

I was just experimenting to see how ribs dripping on the coals tastes compared to my normal ribs. I usually do ribs indirect on the kettle hot and fast. I did notice a difference in flavor. I like both ways. Maybe it was just these ribs or maybe because they were direct, but they were more fall off the bone than normal. I did spritz more often. I was glad I pulled them when I did. They were completely done and moist but I can tell they might have started drying out if left on. Also glad I left the membrane on.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 01:31:32 PM by HoosierKettle »

Scott Zee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2017, 02:27:48 PM »
I'd like to try a no sauce method at home sometime. I've only had it once in Memphis at a popular BBQ joint, and the rub was severely over cooked. I'll have to try this.
Thanks.

Great looking ribs Hoosier...Travis, All I ever do now is dry rub ribs...if people want sauce, I just offer it at the table. I always dust them right off the smoker as well.
drink a little drink, smoke a little smoke    8)
It's not just a grill, it's a WEBER

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2017, 02:56:03 PM »

I was just experimenting to see how ribs dripping on the coals tastes compared to my normal ribs. I usually do ribs indirect on the kettle hot and fast. I did notice a difference in flavor. I like both ways. Maybe it was just these ribs or maybe because they were direct, but they were more fall off the bone than normal. I did spritz more often. I was glad I pulled them when I did. They were completely done and moist but I can tell they might have started drying out if left on. Also glad I left the membrane on.

I will give it try next time, even leaving the mebrane.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna