Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Vortex Grilled Salmon  (Read 2011 times)

Wahoo95

• WKC Brave
Vortex Grilled Salmon
« on: August 27, 2017, 02:23:31 PM »
My new favorite way to prepare salmon on the Jumbo Joe. Seasoned these with a simple rub of Chile Powder, Sea Salt,  Garlic powder, and coast pepper.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 02:27:43 PM by Wahoo95 »

Kneab

• WKC Performer
Re: Vortex Grilled Salmon
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 02:27:21 PM »
That looks great.👍
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 05:17:41 PM »
Looks delicious. I just bought some salmon that I have to figure out what I want to do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 05:39:42 PM »
I'll have to try that. Does the fish release from the grate easily cooked that way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cellar2ful

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 06:47:06 AM »

Good looking cook. One of my favorite things to BBQ. I saw your FB post and your comment on cook time (10 minutes) was spot on.  10-12 minutes maximum cook time.  A lot of folks cook salmon a lot longer than needed, which dries it out. As soon as the salmon starts oozing a white milky fluid on the top side, they are done.

@Travis - I always leave the skin on and place the salmon skin side down on the grate. Never any sticking to the grate and lift off easily with a spatula. Leaving the skin on also helps keep the salmon moist. I don't have a Vortex. I just use my charcoal baskets, moving them in closer to the CI sear grate. Additionally, I throw a couple of apple wood chunks on the coals.  It spikes the temps and adds a sweet, smokey quality to the salmon. The high heat gives the top of the salmon a caramelized appearance.

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 12:45:17 PM »
Those look really good.  I wish I wasn't the only one in my family that liked salmon !

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Wahoo95

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 08:24:14 PM »
I'll have to try that. Does the fish release from the grate easily cooked that way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Slid off very easy. The key is making sure the grates are very hot and the fish is oiled when you put it on

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 05:27:33 AM »
That looks wonderful! I love salmon...  :)
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.