Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Swineapple  (Read 2169 times)

bigssa

• WKC Brave
Swineapple
« on: August 20, 2017, 04:51:21 PM »
My father-in-law pressured me into trying out the swineapple this weekend. Making it was simple enough, but I honestly do not know how people like it. The acid from the pineapples completely broke down the muscle fibers to this disgusting texture that would only be enjoyed by people without teeth. The flavors were good, but the pork stuffed inside the pineapple was just not enjoyable. The pineapple and surrounding bacon were great though. So I ended up tossing all the stuffed pork and luckily I had additional pork to grill up as the protein with the meal.

Did I do something completely wrong? Has anyone had success making this dish without getting terrible results?

I followed directions from a YouTube video, but I feel like I must have screwed it up. I feel like there needs to be a barrier between the pineapple and pork.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
Re: Swineapple
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 06:11:08 PM »
Have a picture of your cook or want to explain your method? Maybe we can figure it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 06:26:36 PM »
I haven't done swineapple but I have cooked pork that touches pineapple and know what your talking about.  I don't care for that texture either.

bigssa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 06:59:48 PM »
Have a picture of your cook or want to explain your method? Maybe we can figure it out.

I didn't take any pics, but it was pretty straight forward. Cut  the bottom and top off the pineapple then cut out the center of the pineapple and stuff it with Boston butt meat. Wrap the whole thing with bacon. Secure the top and bottom of the pineapple back using long tooth picks. Thinking about it now, maybe my mistake was laying the pineapple on its side during the cook instead of right side up which might have pooled the juice inside. Perhaps if it was right side up, the juice would have just dripped out?

I'd love to hear if someone has been able to cook one successfully and how they did it.

Mike in Roseville

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 08:47:46 PM »
Ok...

I watched the video on YouTube.

My thoughts right away are:

1) Fresh pineapple has enzymes that break down protein quickly. Pineapple capsule (with moderate heat) + meat filling = high potential for "mushy" meat.

2) It basically steams/braises inside the pineapple at a temperature that the enzymes do their most work. I'm not sure about you, but that doesn't seem appealing to me at all.

The enzymes work slowly in cold temperatures and are deactivated when exposed to high heat (e.g., canned pineapple).

What would I do differently next time?

Personally, I would make something like Al Pastor on the rotisserie, if you were going to combine pork and pineapple. However, one idea if you really wanted to make it again would be to prep the pineapple capsule like you normally would. However, instead of stuffing it straight away, throw it on the smoker first and cook it (both halves open/exposed). Pull the capsule off and then put the meat in. Continue cooking. Or, you could take a hand torch and sear the inside of the pineapple. Then fill it?

You could also do that and start the meat on the smoker. Halfway through, combine them together (or combine at the end during a rest).

Just some thoughts...YMMV.

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 09:53:05 PM »
I do the shopping, prepping, cooking, and serving. Nobody is telling me what to cook. Yes, I learn everyone's preferences and try to make them happy, but in the end I pick what I am cooking.

Except for BLTs. A request for BLTs is always valid during tomato season.

Efkay

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 01:59:44 AM »
Both pineapple and papaya contain proteolytic enzymes, ie they digest protein. In (fresh) pineapple the enzyme is Bromelain, whilst in papaya it is known as papain. The canning process destroys the enzyme.

In cooking terms the juice of both these fruits is beneficial in tenderising tough cuts of meat and is usually injected to achieve the desired effect. As you've found out to your cost, the softening action on non-tough cuts of meat turns it to mush. The proteolytic action of the enzyme is the reason Jell-o won't set if you add fresh pineapple to it.

Some years ago my sister-in-law had a prolapsed spinal disc treated with medical grade papain - it softened the disc sufficiently to allow it to be put back in place.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 11:43:08 AM »
Made it a year or two back when it was trending.
It was terrible. Meat was way too mushy.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 12:46:34 PM »
Made it a year or two back when it was trending.
It was terrible. Meat was way too mushy.

Yup. Not a big fan of the dish. Not a big fan of pineapple either. Soooo, there you have it from my corner.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

bigssa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2017, 02:48:22 PM »
I just don't understand how this dish got so popularized when it is so disgusting. Maybe some people just don't know what half way decent food tastes like.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2017, 02:54:24 PM »
Honestly never heard of this meal. I can tell you this though @bigssa my grilling and smoking has stepped up tremendously since I joined this club. I thought I could grill 10 years ago but now I know I didn't know shit. There are a lot of people out there "doing it wrong" and don't know what good food tastes like. All they need to do is find this club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2017, 03:25:13 PM »
I just don't understand how this dish got so popularized when it is so disgusting. Maybe some people just don't know what half way decent food tastes like.

it got popularized because the majority of people will willingly share web content without actually reading it, or in this case, trying it.

Swineapple looks and sounds delicious. It has that wow factor and that's why everyone shares it.
The internet makes lots of things possible.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2017, 03:26:17 PM »
Lol @ Troy I'm gonna use that quote. The internet makes lots of things possible. Good one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.