Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First St. Louis Ribs  (Read 1562 times)

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
First St. Louis Ribs
« on: August 20, 2017, 07:14:21 AM »
I usually cook baby back ribs, usually use Stubbs rub and whatever fuel I have on hand. St Louis Ribs were $1.99/lb so I went for it. Out of Stubbs rubs so I hit them with Kosher salt, cumin, ground mustard, garlic powder, paprika, and a light dusting of white sugar. We have a pool party to go to in a little bit so these will cook while we are gone and be waiting on us for dinner.  Should be a great Sunday.  Happy grilling fellas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: First St. Louis Ribs
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 10:01:12 AM »

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 10:10:08 AM »
Looking good!  Are you using stubs charcoal?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 10:14:18 AM »
No sir I had an open bag of Royal Oak so I went with that. It's holding temp really good. Oven thermometer has been at 260 all day

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 12:03:20 PM »

Gettin jiggly with it.

TheKevman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 12:11:57 PM »
Ribs look great! I'm doing St. Louis style ribs for the first time next weekend. Any differences in cooking between baby backs and St. Louis style I should know about?
A man who has an experience is never at the mercy of a man who has just a theory.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 12:51:12 PM »
Not that I can tell @TheKevman . Everything I've read about the cuts is baby back ribs are the most lean ribs with more meat and shorter bones. I'm usually good at baby back ribs so these should be really good if there is more fat content. I'd say do everything you normally do and you'll be fine. I'm saucing mine now.

TheKevman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2017, 01:05:03 PM »
Thanks, @kettlebb !
A man who has an experience is never at the mercy of a man who has just a theory.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2017, 01:28:59 PM »
They are good ribs but the wife and I prefer baby back ribs. Nice smoke ring and the rub came out good. I didn't dry them out, the wife says there's more tug than my normal ribs. A great day for cooking!

TheKevman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2017, 01:30:15 PM »
Good to know!

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2017, 02:33:09 PM »
Looks like a great day of experimenting. I don’t notice much difference between St. Louis and baby back besides cooking time and texture. After cooking a couple racks of St. Louis i need to try baby back again to verify. St. Louis are more meaty but can have more “gristle” but that also depends on where you get them.

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2017, 03:25:33 PM »
Gristle is the right word. These came from ALDI. I don't mind Aldi meat though.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2017, 06:25:40 PM »
Baby back are easier to eat for people that just want good ribs without worrying about the gristle even though theres less meat. I have been getting my ribs at Acme. I need to stop at the local butcher to see the difference.

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2017, 06:39:14 PM »
I have tried a lot of aldi meats but I haven't tried their ribs yet. I get Smithfield at sams. I usually buy whole spare ribs and cut the tips off to make my own St. Louis style. St. Louis are my favorite but I love baby back as well. That rib looks good and has great color.