Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Trying to do a Hawaiian style Luau in my WSM  (Read 2098 times)

FJGrillin

• Happy Cooker
Trying to do a Hawaiian style Luau in my WSM
« on: August 03, 2017, 12:50:49 PM »
Hello to all,
I'm totally new to the smoking world but I've been thinking of trying to do a luau style cook in my 22inch wsm.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwf3eSMbu7U
I was wondering if anyone has tried doing this or any suggestions would be appreciated.

I think I might use sand or lavarocks in the pan because I think I'd need to cook at a higher temp?

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
Re: Trying to do a Hawaiian style Luau in my WSM
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 08:16:03 AM »
We lived in Hawaii for 24 years and have cooked many a pig in an imu like the one you have pictured.  You can get the same taste by just not adding a lot of flavoring wood when smoking pork.  The main difference you will find in flavor is from cooking large cuts (butt) and not the whole hog. 

When we make Kalua Pig, I just take some pulled pork and add it.  Tastes better than the imu variant in my opinion.  Honestly, if you aren't at a luau, and order it in Hawaii, you will get pork made in a slow cooker or oven.

TL;DR Just smoke your pork without a lot of flavoring wood and you'll have an end product that beats most plate lunches you will find in Hawaii.

FJGrillin

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 10:42:40 AM »

FJGrillin

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 10:43:09 AM »

FJGrillin

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 10:43:31 AM »

FJGrillin

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 10:46:16 AM »
We lived in Hawaii for 24 years and have cooked many a pig in an imu like the one you have pictured.  You can get the same taste by just not adding a lot of flavoring wood when smoking pork.  The main difference you will find in flavor is from cooking large cuts (butt) and not the whole hog. 

When we make Kalua Pig, I just take some pulled pork and add it.  Tastes better than the imu variant in my opinion.  Honestly, if you aren't at a luau, and order it in Hawaii, you will get pork made in a slow cooker or oven.

TL;DR Just smoke your pork without a lot of flavoring wood and you'll have an end product that beats most plate lunches you will find in Hawaii.

Thanks Bubblehead. I didn't use any wood however, I did use lump charcoal and it came out almost as good as the real thing. 

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 11:36:00 AM »
Awesome!  I'm glad everything turned out.  I forgot to mention lump.  It's all I use so I often forget.