Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Using used charcoal again  (Read 1873 times)

TCookHusker

• Happy Cooker
Using used charcoal again
« on: July 02, 2017, 03:10:13 PM »
I was wondering how many of you use your charcoal over again after a cook?  I use the charcoal baskets and have reused the charcoal that is left over.  One thing I am noticing is the temperature is lower due to reusing it.  I would hate to throw the charcoal away but I also want the temps to be high.  Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

jmitchell418

• Smokey Joe
Re: Using used charcoal again
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 03:12:52 PM »
I use leftover charcoal in my chimney along with new briquettes and dump them over new briquettes in the wsm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 07:33:36 PM »
Use used all the time.  Sometimes for short cooks and sometimes to start minion methods.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 09:25:45 PM »
I reuse it too but I usually lump it with new charcoal. Used charcoal isn't super hot and doesn't last long.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Love-a-Weber

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 01:21:01 AM »
I also will reuse the leftover charcoal

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Joetee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 11:59:25 AM »
I use mine all the time as well. Just add some to the new Briquettes. Don't waist it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 01:43:42 PM »
I use it all the time if anything's left it gets tossed on too of a half full chimney of new

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 03:49:13 PM »
Waste not, want not ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

RobertBaron

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 10:43:29 PM »
For long smokes I'll use all fresh charcoal. For reverse seared steaks I'll pour some fresh briquettes over the used to nearly top it off on the SnS and light 15 or so new briquettes in the mini chimney and dump them on the rest.

Haven't had any issues keeping it low for the slow part or getting it screaming hot for the sear part.

Basically I haven't tossed any used charcoal in years. Just cycle through it.

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2017, 01:18:51 AM »
@RobertBaron has the same plan I use for long smokes or just for long cooks like lamb shoulders, I use new coals for those but almost always reuse my burnt coals again and again until they are not big enough.
I always put new coals in the BOTTOM of the chimney first and then the used on top of new. New coals always seem to light off faster and help to get the used going.
If the used coals are too small I don't get the air flow in the chimney good and it takes longer to start, if they all restart at all.
My Smokey Joe sees the coals from my 22" MT after a quick cook.. as soon as I'm done cooking I pull the grate off and take the charcoal baskets out using my Weber SS grabby tong and give them a shake and dump them in the SJ and close it up... few mins later they are OUT and cooled. This is WAY faster than closing all the vents on a 22" and waiting.
This is just what I do, it works for me..do what works best for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2017, 06:16:27 AM »
I do the same thing with my smokey. Thing is tight as a drum. It is definitely a coal saver.
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

FuzzyMan88

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2017, 05:36:16 AM »
I use left over charcoal with fresh charcoal all the time.  It works great, and I don't waste as much charcoal.