Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Best ribs for first timer  (Read 1332 times)

Foundry37

• Smokey Joe
Best ribs for first timer
« on: July 05, 2017, 03:12:00 PM »
Since I had success with my first stab at chicken thighs I am feeling bold and want to try my hand at doing ribs for the first time.  What would be a good forgiving not too pricey cut to try? 
I eventually want to work my way up to beef ribs.
I will be using my trusty 22.5 OTS
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 03:14:15 PM by Foundry37 »

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Best ribs for first timer
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 03:33:20 PM »
My favorite ribs are baby back. Maybe I'm wrong but I think they come out more tender than spare ribs. I've never done St. Louis cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 04:15:18 PM »
Don't go with "not too pricey" ingredients. You'll end up with less than you expected.

"The pain of poor quality lasts longer than the satisfaction of a good deal"

I prefer St. Louis cut from central market. They are generally $4.99lb but I don't have to trim anything. Remove the membrane, season, cook. I can get whole uncut spares for $2.99 at sams but I'm not a fan of the flap. I figure that if I remove the flap then I'm back up to 4.99 anyway so what's the difference.

Baby backs are the most "forgiving" due to higher fat content, but hey have a higher fat content. Much more greasy end product.

Good luck. I'd recommend you ride the snake. Don't sauce till the very end. And use the 3-2-1 method.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 04:32:04 PM »
Don't go with "not too pricey" ingredients. You'll end up with less than you expected.

I prefer St. Louis cut from central market. They are generally $4.99lb but I don't have to trim anything. Remove the membrane, season, cook. I can get whole uncut spares for $2.99 at sams but I'm not a fan of the flap. I figure that if I remove the flap then I'm back up to 4.99 anyway so what's the difference.

Baby backs are the most "forgiving" due to higher fat content, but hey have a higher fat content. Much more greasy end product.

Good luck. I'd recommend you ride the snake. Don't sauce till the very end. And use the 3-2-1 method.

St. Louis style are my favorite. I buy the sams club 2 pack of spare ribs and leave the tips on or I'll cut them off.  They are pretty easy to cut off once you get the hang of it. I cut off the tip meat whole before I cook. Smoke the 2 St. Louis style racks and the 2 long portions of tip meat. Then I cut the tips into medallions for lack of a better word. My sams carries Smithfield and I'm always happy with the quality. The rib tips are some of the best bites. Try it sometime. Also, I like the leaner thinner profile of the St. Louis compared to the back ribs. Don't get me wrong, I love all ribs though.

For the first time rib cooker, I'd probably recommend baby back for easiness.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 04:34:18 PM by HoosierKettle »

Foundry37

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 08:09:36 PM »
Baby backs it is.  I will keep you all posted on results.
Thanks all.
I love  this forum
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 08:15:04 PM by Foundry37 »

Foundry37

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 08:12:32 PM »

Thanks for tips.
 I was concerned about spending too much on a cut that might come out inedible.  But baby backs sound like the way to go.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 08:14:52 PM by Foundry37 »

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 11:56:50 PM »
For what it's worth, I've only done baby back ribs and I NEVER wrap or do the 3-2-1 method. I just remove the membrane, apply the rub to both sides then right to the kettle. Indirect 250-275. My last rack was over 4 lbs and went about 6 hours.  Never had issues with greasy texture or dry meat. Good luck and take pics along the way. Also write down in a journal what you are doing and how so you can replicate it later if you like or make adjustments the next cook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 05:02:48 AM »
I have never wrapped but really want to try Malcom Reed's competition rib recipe. Like they said ribs are pretty straight forward.
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 06:03:19 AM »
I've wrapped and not wrapped. Both ways turn out good. After some experimenting, I prefer unwrapped on baby back and wrapped on whole spare ribs, and unwrapped on St. Louis cut.

I don't do the 3-2-1 method either.  Baby backs at 275ish take me between 2.5 - 3.5 depending on the rack. Get it probe tender and do not over cook and dry them out. Cut a rib off for a chef sample if you need to.

Maybe I'm cooking a little hotter than what I think or my racks aren't as meaty but I've never had baby backs go as long as what others seem to cook.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 06:05:09 AM by HoosierKettle »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2017, 06:58:46 AM »
I got a weber greatest hits book not long ago and it's baby back recipe recommends cooking 300-350 for 2 1/2 - 3 hours. I'm guessing that's the range I'm cooking in.  I don't use any thermometers when cooking ribs. Good thing about pork ribs is you cook until they are done and tender and you don't have to worry about maintaining a very low cook temp to produce great results imo.