Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Has anyone grilled pheasant? Recipes?  (Read 889 times)

vader06

• WKC Ranger
Has anyone grilled pheasant? Recipes?
« on: July 03, 2017, 08:04:31 AM »
Has anyone grilled pheasant before?  I know it is leaner than chicken?  Does anyone have any recipes to try.  It is already cut up so it is not a whole bird.  I thought of wrapping the meat in bacon to add more fat and flavor.  Any suggestions would be great. Thank you. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
Genesis Gold B, 18" WSM, 18" Yellow, 22" Blue OTG, 22" Lime MBH, 22"  Black SJ, Black Jumbo Joe Platinum and Red 22" LE.

RonSwanson

• Smokey Joe
Re: Has anyone grilled pheasant? Recipes?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 10:19:10 AM »
Just cooked my last breasts from the 2016-2017 season. I typically brine them overnight. Last time I used apple juice but normally I just use a salt brine. Are they skinned?  If so wrapping in some kind of fat is a good idea. I've used bacon, pancetta, or chicken skin. Use your rub of choice and add some fruit wood for some extra flavor.  DO NOT COOK IT LIKE CHICKEN.  If you cook it to 165-170 it will be dry and tough. Almost inedible. .

Sent from my XT1650 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

vader06

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 12:38:54 PM »
Awesome.  I will give that a try with the bacon.  They are skinned.   Did you use just apple juice only?   Thank you.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 12:47:52 PM by vader06 »
Genesis Gold B, 18" WSM, 18" Yellow, 22" Blue OTG, 22" Lime MBH, 22"  Black SJ, Black Jumbo Joe Platinum and Red 22" LE.

RonSwanson

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 12:46:08 PM »
No it was juice, water, salt, pepper corns, and sugar. I forget the exact measurements but I got it from this group using the search feature. I think it was poultry for dinner or something similar.

SmokeVide

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 05:19:09 PM »
Honestly? My preference is to cut up breasts into chunks, coat them in Andy's fish breading, and deep fry.
Brian
Seeking: 26 rotisserie

RonSwanson

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 10:03:04 AM »
Fried is good and easy. I like to experiment.  I think the best thing I made with pheasant was scallopini. Some times I will also keep a few of the carcasses to roast and make stock.

SmokeVide

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 11:57:43 AM »
I'm gonna have to try some of your tips, Ron. Have not tried brining them -- that might be the ticket. I harvest a lot of pheasants, and like you said, it's easy for them to turn out dry and tough. I also really like your idea of making stock -- never thought of that. Can't wait for fall!
Brian
Seeking: 26 rotisserie

vader06

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 12:58:33 PM »
My pheasant turned out real well.  Thanks for the tips Ron. 

Surprising very moist. 

RonSwanson

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 01:07:23 PM »
Awesome!  Glad I could help. I brine all of my game birds. Increases moistness and decreases what the wife calls the "gamey" flavor. Happy shooting. Dove season is only a few weeks away!