Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pitmaster IQ110, water pans, and baked beans  (Read 3142 times)

bjones

• Happy Cooker
Pitmaster IQ110, water pans, and baked beans
« on: June 21, 2017, 11:23:20 AM »
I've got a setup question for you all. I'm planning to smoke 4 racks of stl cut ribs at 225 degrees in my 22.5" Weber Kettle using the Pitmaster IQ110. I've done this before, and the ribs have always turned out great.

For this cook, though, I want to put a dutch oven of baked beans underneath the ribs to catch the drippings. I've never done this before.

PitmasterIQ setup for Weber Kettle suggests a water pan on the coal grates underneath the meat. They never mention anything about a water pan above the coals. My plan is to have the dutch oven of beans underneath the meat and a water pan on the cooking grate opposite the ribs above the coals (to increase moisture).

Does anyone have opinions or thoughts on my plan? What am I not considering? Could the removal of the bottom water pan and/or the inclusion of the top water pan screw me up? Thanks!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Pitmaster IQ110, water pans, and baked beans
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 11:42:18 AM »
Why not run a snake around the Dutch oven?  I don't know anything about the iq or if it can be used with snake

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

bjones

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 11:58:09 AM »
Thanks for the reply, @HoosierKettle. I used the snake method back before I got the IQ. It gave me many good cooks. The IQ just gives a bit more control since it moderates airflow (and means I don't end up having to babysit the vents as much = more time for beer and a rocking chair)

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 04:46:25 PM »
Thanks for the reply, @HoosierKettle. I used the snake method back before I got the IQ. It gave me many good cooks. The IQ just gives a bit more control since it moderates airflow (and means I don't end up having to babysit the vents as much = more time for beer and a rocking chair)

never heard of the iq before.  interesting product, in that it does not require drilling a port for the fan.  thanks for sharing.
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

Brain_STL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 05:16:04 PM »
I've got an IQ 130...I'd put the Dutch of beans under the ribs and one zone the charcoal. Then put the water pan on the top rack over the coals next to the ribs, enduring it doesn't go dry throughout the cook or until you wrap, if you do that. Good idea!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

bjones

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 06:57:21 PM »
I've got an IQ 130...I'd put the Dutch of beans under the ribs and one zone the charcoal. Then put the water pan on the top rack over the coals next to the ribs, enduring it doesn't go dry throughout the cook or until you wrap, if you do that. Good idea!

Thanks for the vote of confidence, @Brain_STL! (fellow St. Louisan here)

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 09:32:31 PM »
Ask the expert about drip beans..

@1buckie
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 06:57:55 AM »
When I do drip beans I add more liquid to the dutch oven than you'd expect as it reduces quite a bit. I don't think there's a need for a water pan and drip beans both..then again I rarely use water.

bjones

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 01:56:18 PM »
When I do drip beans I add more liquid to the dutch oven than you'd expect as it reduces quite a bit. I don't think there's a need for a water pan and drip beans both..then again I rarely use water.

I'm planning on using Alton Brown's "The Once and Future Beans" recipe (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/the-once-and-future-beans-recipe-1938616). It calls for 4 cups of liquid for 1 lb of beans. So, I'm thinking go up to 6 cups of liquid? Thoughts, @jdefran?

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 04:57:56 PM »
Yeah I think that works. Ribs at 225 will take a while so you'll have time to reduce it. If not, reduce on stovetop before eating

bjones

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2017, 11:41:10 AM »
Well, started the fire at 7am. Put the dutch oven next to the coals and the ribs on top of the grate at 7:30am. About to pull off, but wanted to show some progress pictures.

...which I will do as soon as I figure out how to post photos here
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 11:46:21 AM by bjones »

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2017, 11:58:51 AM »
If you have a smart phone. That is the easiest way to post pictures using the WKC app

bjones

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2017, 05:18:41 PM »
And. Here. We. Go...

Start

bjones

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2017, 05:21:35 PM »

bjones

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2017, 05:23:11 PM »
Thanks for all the tips, new friends. Ribs and beans turned out great with lots of compliments.