Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Master Touch Grill - New User  (Read 8429 times)

Kneab

• WKC Performer
Re: Master Touch Grill - New User
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2017, 07:12:29 AM »
Sure it drips.
Scrape the bowl once in a while. No big deal. They are built for things like this.
My vortex is made from a maislin pot. It's meant for candy making. But it is better as a vortex. Cut a mixing bowl from goodwill or another thrift type of store for minimal investment.
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2017, 07:27:43 AM »
Dean's, you did a great job on your first cook!     To answer your questions, you can sear with the lid up or down. I prefer lid down to prevent flare ups.  Basically, place chicken on grill directly over coals and cover with lid.  Wait a few mins then check the progress.  When one side of the chicken has the correct you want, flip to other side and put the lid down again.   After a few more minutes, check the progress again.    Once chicken has the look you want, move it over to indirect heat, put lid back down and just let it cook.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

deans6571

• WKC Brave
    • Twitter Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2017, 07:35:05 AM »
Dean's, you did a great job on your first cook!     To answer your questions, you can sear with the lid up or down. I prefer lid down to prevent flare ups.  Basically, place chicken on grill directly over coals and cover with lid.  Wait a few mins then check the progress.  When one side of the chicken has the correct you want, flip to other side and put the lid down again.   After a few more minutes, check the progress again.    Once chicken has the look you want, move it over to indirect heat, put lid back down and just let it cook.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
...thanks!

Thanks for the tips also - definitely gonna try these methods for my next cook.
 :)

clarissa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2017, 11:59:08 AM »
@1buckie that is an interesting potato rack.  Is that a current available item?

JordanW

• WKC Brave
    • Instagram - @bigtroublebbq
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2017, 12:57:56 PM »
@deans6571 you don't need the vortex or a homemade vortex to cook chicken like that or get similar results. Use your already paid for charcoal baskets from Weber + full chimney of whatever fuel you like to use. Simply put the baskets together in the center of the charcoal grate and your chicken around the outside. +/- 40 minutes depending on the size of your pieces...

I am not knocking the vortex, but what you have will work just fine without having to spend more $ on accessories. Use that extra $ for more fuel and meat to practice with.....

deans6571

• WKC Brave
    • Twitter Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2017, 01:34:13 PM »
@deans6571 you don't need the vortex or a homemade vortex to cook chicken like that or get similar results. Use your already paid for charcoal baskets from Weber + full chimney of whatever fuel you like to use. Simply put the baskets together in the center of the charcoal grate and your chicken around the outside. +/- 40 minutes depending on the size of your pieces...

I am not knocking the vortex, but what you have will work just fine without having to spend more $ on accessories. Use that extra $ for more fuel and meat to practice with.....

Great advice there - I may just do that, so thanks!
 ;)

deans6571

• WKC Brave
    • Twitter Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2017, 01:37:49 PM »
Just some other small questions regarding clearing up afterwards....

Personally, I like to clean my Weber, right after I have finished cooking and the coals have cooled down, however, pretty much all the info I have seen online says that many people just leave the coals in, until the next cook, and then go ahead and clean the grills, right before their next cook (just as you are pre-heating the grill)?!

What's the done thing here then? I'm not sure I would want to leave my Weber all greasy and oily after cooking until the next time I go to cook?!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 12:10:42 AM by deans6571 »

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2017, 02:51:56 PM »
The seasoning you put on the chicken will also have a lot to do with the color. Example if you just used salt and pepper you won't get much color. Paprika in your rub will help a lot with this. And as someone else mentioned a very small amount of wood. And a hot fire. All together should produce some nice looking chicken.

In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2017, 02:52:37 PM »
Are you talking about the grate?  I've never cleaned the inside of a couple of my grills since new. Just sweep the ash and give the grate a scrape before cooking.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2017, 03:57:49 PM »
I think you will find out those baskets are a fantastic tool. just experiment around with them. You can also use them with tin foil on the sides to close uo the holes so it is more vortex like.
Having other tools like the vortex is a great option however. I have found the Weber to be one of the most versatile grilling/bbq cookers on the market. I is just up to the user to get his mojo on. Once you embrace the kettle system and explore a few possibilities, you get hooked.
You have a MT, you have a lot of the bells and whistles built in. Just go for it.
PS. this place has some of the most creative ideas you can find on any forum all focused on the Weber Kettle cooking method, Guys here grill, bake, BBQ Wok, Steam, and more all on these simple kettles.
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2017, 06:12:01 PM »
I wouldn't worry about keeping the grill clean all the time. A once per year 20 minute razor blade scrape would be sufficient. They get dirty. I do try to keep the lid and bowl exterior clean only because they are Weber Kettles and they look awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2017, 09:09:55 PM »
@1buckie that is an interesting potato rack.  Is that a current available item?

@clarissa

K-Mart.....25 ~ 30 years ago..... :o
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2017, 09:26:10 PM »
Just some other small questions regarding clearing up afterwards....

Personally, I like to clean my Weber, right after I have finished cooking and the coals have cooled down, however, pretty much all the info I have seen online says that many people just leave the coals in, until the next cook, and then go ahead and clean the grills, right before their next cook (just as you are pre-heating the grill)?!

What's the dime here then? I'm not sure I would want to leave my Weber all greasy and oily after cooking until the next time I go to cook?!

That's not dirty...that's SEASONING !!!

....makes stuff come out like this:

Naw, just kiddin'....be as clean-conscious as you would like.....some folks do take the time to clear the ash, scrape down the grates, even do some of a wipe down after the cooks....Hogsy from Australia keep his grates good & clear....says he doesn't want the flavors of the last cook interfering with the current items....I get his point, I'm just too old & tired for that much activity ........ ;)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

deans6571

• WKC Brave
    • Twitter Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2017, 12:13:08 AM »
The seasoning you put on the chicken will also have a lot to do with the color. Example if you just used salt and pepper you won't get much color. Paprika in your rub will help a lot with this. And as someone else mentioned a very small amount of wood. And a hot fire. All together should produce some nice looking chicken.

...ok, cheers for this - personally, I don't think I used enough briquettes to get my grill hot enough. I only used around 30ish briquettes (my chimney was only about half full), so my baskets were also not very full either!

Might try the full chimney next time.....!

deans6571

• WKC Brave
    • Twitter Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2017, 12:15:46 AM »
Are you talking about the grate?  I've never cleaned the inside of a couple of my grills since new. Just sweep the ash and give the grate a scrape before cooking.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I was meaning the top grate (where you actually lay the food on) and also the bottom grate (where you lay the charcoal on) + also, the bottom of the kettle bowl, where all the greasy gunk forms from the charcoal (I ended up with a think dark grey sludge which I assumed was the charcoal dust mixed together with the condensed water I had in the drip tray).