Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 26er cooking tips  (Read 2741 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
26er cooking tips
« on: May 20, 2017, 10:50:20 AM »
I've had my modern 26 for years but only recently tried doing hot cooks 450-550. This temp range is easy on a 22. I rudely dismissed a previous post on air flow differences on the 22 vs 26 but it is true. The 26" will not get as hot with the lid on regardless of coal amount. Last night I did a wing cook on the 26. Started up a chimney and a half banked. Put lid on and watch temps fall to 400 and dropping, all vents open. Cracked the lid and temps shot to 500 and sat there perfect for a solid hour. Most on here probably knew this but for everyone else, this is the way to higher temps on a 26.  Wings took around 50 minutes or so. I flipped half way. Turned out great and is very easy to do.  I would like to see weber put a larger damper and holes on the lid. I see it as a little bit of a design flaw now but it is very easy to crack so not a big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
Re: 26er cooking tips
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 11:56:52 AM »
I'd help you make those disappear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 11:57:36 AM »
I totally agree about getting a larger cooker up to higher heat ranges. Can only imagine what a ranch would be.
I do believe the 26" would be the last one I'd ever let go, just for the fact that it's the best.
One kettle for an entire dinner.
Wings look good, bro.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
26er cooking tips
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 11:59:20 AM »
That handle looks really good on there, btw.[emoji106]

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 12:09:29 PM »
Thanks fellas!  And I agree @Travis on the handle and that the 26 would be the last I'd let go. Love them all but it's tough to beat the versatility and the real estate.

I made that BBQ sauce too. That one started off with sautéed onion and garlic. I make micro batches of sauce that are gone each cook.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
26er cooking tips
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 12:12:19 PM »
I need to make a basket for my 26r. What did you use, Sean? Looks like the backs of recent baskets, but old school wire baskets up front or charcoal rail.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 12:35:14 PM »

I need to make a basket for my 26r. What did you use, Sean? Looks like the backs of recent baskets, but old school wire baskets up front or charcoal rail.

I have the backs of 2 baskets bolted together for the back and 2 charcoal rails inline but staggered so they fit properly. Works great. I also like the rails for being able to adjust the size of the 2 zone.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 12:38:06 PM »
Cool. I've got a couple sets of rails that are just sitting around. Time to make some 26r baskets. Thx

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 07:43:58 AM »
These are about 2/3 done in the picture. I rotate lid and leave cracked. Temps held 550ish.  I think baskets in the middle cook a little more even versus banked. I like the 26 to spread them out a little and still get quantity.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2017, 07:47:15 AM »
I find myself very tempted to add another vent. I think it would cook high even heat without rotating. 

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2017, 08:23:06 AM »
I find myself very tempted to add another vent. I think it would cook high even heat without rotating. 

I have been kicking that extra vent idea around also. should be straight forward job and not to hard
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 08:26:49 AM »

I have been kicking that extra vent idea around also. should be straight forward job and not to hard

Yep. Only thing I will do is check and make sure it won't interfere with the bale. I don't think it does. It seems like I've checked before but don't remember.

I would have thought swamp would have done this. I don't recall seeing an extra vent on his.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2017, 08:31:15 AM »
what really would look cool is a Ranch vent. Now I am going to check that fitment out when I get home and take it of the Ranch and see if it may work.
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2017, 04:56:12 AM »
A friend of mine does most all his cooking on his 26er with the vortex moved to one side...Gives him plenty of heat and lots of indirect grill estate...

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2017, 05:57:53 AM »

A friend of mine does most all his cooking on his 26er with the vortex moved to one side...Gives him plenty of heat and lots of indirect grill estate...

The medium size?  Does he need to crack the lid for temps over 450?