Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Question on grill options  (Read 1693 times)

mitler15

• Happy Cooker
Question on grill options
« on: May 14, 2017, 12:12:11 PM »
I currently own a WSM and am looking to add a kettle or jumbo joe to the lineup. Main question, is the kettle premium worth buying over the regular kettle or jumbo joe version? I would mainly be cooking indirect for brisket and pork butts but would also cook direct for burgers, hot dogs, etc. i would love to hear your opinions and pros and cons from all these grill options.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Question on grill options
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 12:30:41 PM »
The jj (18") does wonders for small, direct cooks, but will leave you longing for more real estate for anything else. A 22", snake method, and pork butts/briskets are well paired, and depending on your area, you can find one cheaper on c/l than buying a brand new jj from your local dealer.
Best bet, own both..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 12:38:22 PM »
Can't go wrong with a 22"
Snake for slow and low, direct , indirect. Possibilities are endless. Dont buy a new one. Grab an old three wheeler and a newer one touch off craigslist. Then take the money left over to go to the butcher shop afterwards.
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 05:37:04 PM »
IMO the ash bucket is a worthy upgrade from the ash pan. You can likely find a used black OTP or (OKP as they are now called) on craigslist cheap enough to give it a whirl without a major investment.

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 10:20:42 AM »
   If you are normally  cooking for 1 to 3 people grab the jumbo joe, 4+ people grab a 22". Either kettle will cook the food great. Check CL, no need to buy new.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Question on grill options
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 10:49:18 AM »
Grab any 22. However, if funds allow, I like the premium for the lid therm, ash bucket, extra handle, and I think they come with baskets and flip grate. You can also get a green or copper last I checked. The upgrades are worth it if buying new is your goal.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

RobertBaron

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 11:57:23 AM »
I got my first Weber Kettle about 2 years ago which was a premium model so I've never used the ash pan. I can't imagine going to one after I've used the ash bucket. Makes cleaning out ash and charcoal crumbles a breeze. I also can't imagine having to use a non-one touch system.

So all in all, I'd definitely go for a kettle with those 2 features at least. I don't really use the dome gauge for anything other than getting a rough idea how hot the fire is for searing steaks or whatever. Most other applications get a maverick therm. Finally, the lid holder is a nice feature. I'd say your best bet is looking for a used premium kettle with the ash bucket. You can probably find one under 75 on craigslist. (FWIW i got a few year old top of the line Performer in great condition for $100). I'd keep in mind when buying used that you'll probably need new grates so factor that into your price strategy
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 11:59:14 AM by RobertBaron »

mitler15

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 04:55:56 PM »
Thanks for all the great info! Checked on craigslist and not much in my area. Mostly looks like very old grills. I'll look for sales with memorial day coming up.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 06:41:43 AM »
I own two Premiums, one Copper and one Crimson. I love them over the standard units. Love the ash bucket, the therm in the lid, and the much controversial Taco handle. One other thing, they come with the gourmet grate... definitely a cool feature. No matter what you buy, get a Vortex also.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 12:03:27 PM »
I run a 14 inch Smokey Joe, thing is great for doing sides on and is very portable when going out camping. Use it all the time. I have had it for years and consider the 14 inch a must have, not a lot of real estate but is like a side burner on a gas grill
An 18 inch silver that I have converted with the ash bucket and a grate that flips up. Those options are really nice, and worth getting the top model for. Anyway the 18 is my steak machine, or whenever I want direct cooking. I have a set of baskets for it also.
My 22 inch is a masters touch, all the bells and whistles. worth every penny if you ask me, after getting it I upgraded the 18 inch as I saw the need for the upgrades I did. plus the MT has the insert system, I have bought 2 inserts that I really like. The 22 inch MT has a lot of real estate. I do my smoking in there can do 3 racks of ribs easily on a 5 hour cook. If you only wanted one kettle it is the one to get.
I will be getting a 26 inch soon, to ease my smoking, I want the extra real estate.
Mostly it is up to your personal ingenuity with the sizes, I have seen guys doing great indirect cooks on 18 inch grills. the 14 is a bit small for such, but then you can use it with out a lot of coals for small dishes.

But Yes I feel the premium models, weather called a gold or a masters touch or whatever, offer options that you will find very nice.  And will admit were worth the money.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 12:06:35 PM by Jammato »
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline