Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Smoking wood.  (Read 1902 times)

Madpap

• WKC Brave
Smoking wood.
« on: May 17, 2017, 09:45:34 AM »
I use pecan for just about everything. I seen some maple in Acadamy yesterday and was wondering if anyone uses it? What kind of meat and do you like it?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Smoking wood.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 05:19:24 PM »
Ive never used maple before. Actually never seen it for sale either. I know there's a list of woods floating around somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 05:22:06 PM »
Take a look here. See if it helps.

http://barbecuetricks.com/bbq-smoking-wood-guide/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Madpap

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 03:55:45 AM »
Thanks

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 06:55:03 AM »
I used to have a source of sugar maple... the guy I was getting it from passed away and the property was sold. I love sugar maple for smoking just about everything.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 11:49:36 AM »
I pretty much use sugar maple for the majority of my cooks. Hell, even my charcoal is sugar maple.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 12:47:43 PM »
I pretty much use sugar maple for the majority of my cooks. Hell, even my charcoal is sugar maple.

You are a man of good tastes... first thyme I tried that wood, I just sat in front of the smoker smelling the smoke. Awesome smell. The butts turned out AWESOME!!
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 03:57:38 PM »
The place beside me sells Sugar Maple, will pick up a bag!

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 05:28:53 PM »
All I can get is silver maple and it has no use in my opinion...Never have used sugar maple...

Madpap

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 03:49:35 AM »
Thanks I'll try to find sugar maple

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 12:17:56 PM »
I just have to walk a few hundred yards and I can harvest mesquite, it seems to be my main wood

every year I go up to the mountains where the apple orchards are and get the trimmings from the orchard before the commercial companies get to them and jack the price up 5 fold. I love the taste of it with chicken and fish and such

I use oak I can source for Texas style brisket and such, I have a friend that receives heavy material on oak pallets, I get one whenever I need oak and cut it up. So I get about 50 pounds for free

I also do some wood work and use the scrape from that. Maple, Ash, etc, but that does not build up much.
I would use Hickory but I find I have to buy that and all this other stuff I get either free or dirt cheap. If you are at all resourceful and have a truck you can find a lot of wood free, I keep my house heated with hardwood I pick up free, I have made friends with a few tree trimmers and they call me if they have a job on the weekend. They have to pay to dispose of it. I just found 4 pickup loads of Oak from a tree cut down, I saw it in the FREE category on Craigs List.

It is amazing the wood getting thrown away out there, and the difference between hundreds of pounds for free free and the equal amount of bags bought a the box stores is almost criminal.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 12:22:15 PM by Jammato »
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline