Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rotisserie and Grilling  (Read 2589 times)

clarissa

• WKC Brave
Rotisserie and Grilling
« on: May 11, 2017, 07:15:06 AM »
Just made my first chicken on my new rotisserie. It was delicious and so juicy. And now I want to play with spin.

Have seen some interesting recipes in this forum and am wondering if anyone keeps the grate in and rotos a narrow roast while they grill other things on the grate at the same time.

Darko

• WKC Performer
Re: Rotisserie and Grilling
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 07:21:36 AM »
I take the cooking grate out, but it isn't necessary.

EricD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 07:22:34 AM »
Short answer, no I don't use a grate.
Long answer....  when I got my Roti, the wrong size was sent (the debate is still out whether it was ordered wrong or sent wrong, but that's another story) so instead of sending it back, I used it as an excuse to get another kettle!!
I found an 18" on CL for $25!  It was in good shape on the outside, but the charcoal and grill grates were rusted out and beyond repair.   SO, the 18" became the dedicated Roti and I only use the charcoal grate. (didn't have to buy one)
22" Kettle black, 18" Kettle black,Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza oven, Maverick ET-732
ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mat, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotiserrie

clarissa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 08:42:32 AM »
So guys, it is not advisable to roto and grill at the same time?? 

EricD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 08:47:07 AM »
If your food will spin without the grate getting in the way, why not?
Take pics!
22" Kettle black, 18" Kettle black,Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza oven, Maverick ET-732

clarissa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 09:26:12 AM »
Ok, that was my aim. Will do.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 09:47:16 AM »
So guys, it is not advisable to roto and grill at the same time??
Sure, it's probably doable, but then you have the lid off, so perhaps the roto meat would take longer to cook.

I do pig on a spit with an open top, so I don't see why you couldn't do it with a chicken.

clarissa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 09:54:21 AM »
Was thinking more about pork on the spit and that whole pineapple, but cooking some veggies at the same time below.

EricD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 09:59:03 AM »
@Darko, why would the lid be off? Maybe for a few seconds while taking veggies on/ off, but covered the rest of the time, no?

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 11:21:10 AM »
@Darko, why would the lid be off? Maybe for a few seconds while taking veggies on/ off, but covered the rest of the time, no?
I'm thinking along the lines of grilling while cooking on the spit. The pig spit I use has no cover... it's just the heat coming off the coals that cooks the meat. Imagine cooking something on the roti without the lid. The heat coming off the coals would still cook the meat, but because it's not covered it would perhaps take longer. Given that the cooker is open, you could still grill over the charcoal without having to lift the lid...

clarissa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2017, 11:27:06 AM »
Yes the lid would be on. Any idea how long a pineapple on the spit would take?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

EricD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2017, 11:32:43 AM »
Thanks Darko.   I don't have a pit. yet.  But I usually keep the lid on when using the Roti.

@clarissa, Try this pineapple recipe.  It's awesome!
http://howtobbqright.com/2017/04/11/fireball-pineapple/

clarissa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2017, 12:13:14 PM »
That sounds terrific. Also, wonder how marinating the pineapple in rum would be. Anyone ever tried that?

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2017, 12:32:23 PM »
Thanks Darko.   I don't have a pit. yet.  But I usually keep the lid on when using the Roti.

I do as well. What I'm trying to say that it may not be required. I myself have not done an uncovered roti cook, but given that I have done a pig uncovered on a big spit, and it works... perhaps it could work with a kettle.