Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Found another "Chief" in the wild (Chocolate Chief)  (Read 4807 times)

Cellar2ful

Found another "Chief" in the wild (Chocolate Chief)
« on: April 28, 2017, 09:17:42 AM »
On Saturday, I picked up a pristine Brave  (18" copper mist).  Monday, I scored another Chief (26" copper mist).  Must be Indigenous copper mist week. 

It is in really nice condition as can be seen after a little clean up.

I believe it is a 1978 from the lid vent.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 08:34:40 PM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Craig

• WKC Mod
Re: Found another "Chief" in the wild
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 09:24:45 AM »
That's a sweet find! Not too many of the "later" colored 26ers pop up (1977-80). Congratulations!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 09:29:01 AM »
Great find, Jim. That looks to be in great condition. What am I looking at on the lid in the first picture? Looks like a thermo, but no holes in the other photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott Zee

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 09:33:45 AM »
@Travis its probably a thermo with a magnet on the back. Jim, that's a beauty. I'd love find one of those to add to the herd. CONGRATS    8)
drink a little drink, smoke a little smoke    8)
It's not just a grill, it's a WEBER

Cellar2ful

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 09:38:42 AM »

@ Travis - From the photo in the sale add, I was mortified that someone had drilled a hole for the lid therm.  Once I got hands on it in person, I found the lid therm was a magnet type, just like Scott Zee said. I was so happy when it just picked right up from the surface of the lid. I think I unknowingly verbalized my glee as the seller was kinda laughing at me. 

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 09:42:04 AM »
Gotcha. That's the first thing I noticed in the pic and felt the same way. I didn't know they made magnetic thermos.

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 09:44:00 AM »
Congrats! 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 09:44:31 AM »
Wow! Nice score.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 10:05:11 AM »

I now have a tough decision.  I have two now (this 78 and a Pat Pending 69-70) and have to decide which one to keep. I have way to many kettles and these babies are huge to store. Before I get hammered with requests of interest, the one I decide to let go of is already promised to @crowderjd .  Jason also saw the add and reached out hours after I picked it up, asking for me to agent it for him. I told him rest assured, he will be getting one of them.  Although it is not in as good of shape, I am leaning towards keeping "Misty", the 69-70 Pat Pending (on the left in the below photo). It is older and I like the wheels, small vent and bowl tabs and the higher darker fade. @Craig - If it was your decision, which would you keep and why? Anyone that would like to chime in, please do. You might add something I had not considered.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2017, 10:19:12 AM »
Wow! Another example of how awesome the members here are. Good on you, Jim and congrats Jason!

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 10:35:11 AM »
I like the lower fade, but I like everything else about Misty. In the end. I'd keep misty.

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2017, 10:37:05 AM »
Jim is THE BEST. 
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

cumminfourya

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2017, 11:07:08 AM »
That is awesome, nice find and congrats to both of you!!! I think there both fantastic but I like Misty.

Craig

• WKC Mod
Found another "Chief" in the wild (Updated - A chocolate 26", not a Chief)
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2017, 11:33:33 AM »
I'd keep both. Misty is "Copper Mist" and the '78 is "Chocolate"  They vary in shade of brown as well as mist height. Slap some new white walls on that '78 and you're in business. The '78 browns are more of a candy-caramel color compared to the PAT PENDING browns that are more terra cotta and the MIST transition on the PAT PENDING era is more splattery compared to later browns. They are not the same brown kettle. Sorry to make this tougher. But if I had to choose, keep the 78. Not near as many of the later ones come up.

Edit: But Misty is pretty sweet too! This is hard! [emoji848]
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 04:58:17 PM by Craig »

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2017, 11:43:29 AM »
Another great find.  Congrats to both of you!!  Both of those kettles are in amazing shape, I am partial to the higher fade though.
Wanted: Burgundy 18"