Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Entire meal on a 22" kettle (Recipe Included)  (Read 1268 times)

Cellar2ful

Entire meal on a 22" kettle (Recipe Included)
« on: May 02, 2017, 09:38:17 PM »
Mrs Cellar2ful got into the act tonight. All her creation, I just manned the kettle. Apple wood smoked turkey meat loafs, scalloped potatoes in the griswold cast iron skillet and roasted white corn.

RECIPE (Mrs Cellar2ful turkey meatloafs)

-ground turkey (1 lb makes four servings)

-red or yellow bell pepper

-mushrooms

-onion

-parsely

-bread crumbs (We keep a couple bags of turkey stuffing mix for use in making meatballs. Have to buy them at Thanksgiving as you can't find them any other time of year.)

- 2 eggs

-worcheshire sauce

Chop the bell pepper, onion, mushroom and parsley into fine equal size pieces. One thing I learned from a knife skills class is that uniform chopped ingredients cook evenly.

In a mixing bowl, mix the ground turkey, chopped ingredients, bread crumbs (used as a binder), eggs and a dash of worcheshire sauce. If you like them spicy, add sriracha sauce or add some chopped jalapeno.  Once mixed make into 4 equal size loafs.  It can be made into one large loaf but I find small individual loafs produce more external crust and absorb more of the smoke flavor. 

I place them directly on the cooking grate and cook indirect with a few small chunks of apple wood. Both lid and bowl vents wide open. Very easy to overcook turkey so check the internal temperature after 20 minutes.  I pull them when the internal temp reaches 158-160.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 07:21:03 AM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

varekai

• WKC Ranger
Re: Entire meal on a 22" kettle
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 10:32:10 PM »
Great Job!!! BOTH of ya!
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 10:33:23 PM »
Nothing else quite like smoked turkey meatloafs....Good Show!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 01:00:43 AM »
Looks great Jim. Never had turkey meatloaf before. Everything the same except the meat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 06:58:26 AM »
that meal is da bomb!
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

Cellar2ful

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 07:21:53 AM »
Looks great Jim. Never had turkey meatloaf before. Everything the same except the meat?

I updated the original posting to include the recipe.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Entire meal on a 22" kettle (Recipe Included)
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 07:30:31 AM »
A family that cooks together stays together awesome cook
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 09:34:08 AM »
Thanks Jim[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 10:23:36 AM »
The scalloped potatoes look awesome as well...what size is that CI pan?  I've been on the lookout for some classic Griswold here in Vegas, but none has come up. 
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

Thrillho

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 11:27:35 AM »
@Cellar2ful  Looks delicious. Always love seeing a cast iron on a Weber kettle, doesn't' get much better. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Gonna put this on my growing list of things to cook on the grill.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 11:32:09 AM »
@crowderjd - It has No 6 stamped on the bottom.  Measures 9" across.  There is a fella in Santa Cruz that sells griswolds on CL.   He is young, maybe mid 20's and collects, restores, re-seasons and sells them on CL. He had over a hundred last time I was at his house. He had just bought someone's huge collection at an estate sale. Griswolds to him is like Webers to us.   I think he will ship.  If not, I am in Santa Cruz all the time. I can pick something up for you and ship it to you. 
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 11:32:58 AM by Cellar2ful »