Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Beef back ribs and not so basement BBQ beans  (Read 872 times)

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Beef back ribs and not so basement BBQ beans
« on: April 07, 2017, 04:12:53 PM »
Cooked on the 77' faded black today using the TTT so I could do some yard work and run errands.

Beef ribs seasoned with midnight expresso and a little chipotle chili. Ran the cooker at 280ish for a couple hours until I got the color and texture, then wrapped in butcher paper.
Bush's homestyle beans and I cut up and added a red pepper, onion, a couple strips of bacon, some sweet baby rays and some of the dripping from the ribs. Beans were placed over direct heat, uncovered, and temp dialed down to around 230 or once I got to a slight simmer, stirring once in a while. 2 more hours and they were all done.

I like using the TTT for unsupervised cooks. It really dials in and maintains the cooker if you can't be there.
Have a good one fella's!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Beef back ribs and not so basement BBQ beans
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 04:33:00 PM »
That all looks fantastic. I missed an old black mbh in my area this week. Wasn't quick enough.  Were the ribs tender?  I did them once and the flavor was great but they were a little tough. I didn't wrap though and will next time. What was the total cook time?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 05:19:06 PM »
@hoosierkettle
Thx man. That mbh is my daily cooker. Low n slow cooks on 3 wheelers were made for each other. The ribs were very tender. I wrap everything in paper. I just like how it keeps it moist. Just a personal preference, but I like the results. The cook went 6 hours total. About 3 1/2 hours at 280 and another 2-3 around 230.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 06:18:39 PM »
All that looks great. I love having some beef ribs every so often.

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 08:57:33 PM »
That is a great cook Travis. Hard to beat a plate of beef ribs and beans. You cooked the beans two hours? You probably could have used dried beans if you are simmering them for that long.

Your MBH looks like an awesome old cooker.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 03:04:55 AM »
Looking great! Nice work with the paper wrap.

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 03:10:45 AM »
Love beef ribs.....reminds to go looking for them...not really easily available in this area...may have to dial up a local butcher shop
Grills

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 03:26:20 AM »

That is a great cook Travis. Hard to beat a plate of beef ribs and beans. You cooked the beans two hours? You probably could have used dried beans if you are simmering them for that long.

Your MBH looks like an awesome old cooker.

2 hours isn't near enough for dried beans imo. I have to boil them for an hour and simmer all day long before they are tender. 2-3 hours and low heat are perfect for canned beans when you are making a decent size batch.

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 07:51:02 AM »
Great looking cook Travis!  Those beans look tasty! 
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson