Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Leave Griddle on Grill?  (Read 2029 times)

ECinEI

• Smokey Joe
Leave Griddle on Grill?
« on: April 03, 2017, 11:50:09 AM »
I have a Genesis Silver B I rehabbed a couple of years ago.  I bought the rotisserie for it which works well with chicken.  I also got a Weber cast iron griddle that I'm busting out now for the first time.  This griddle covers half of the cooking surface.  I seasoned it per instructions but was wondering about just leaving it in the grill permanently.  I usually just cook for two so there is plenty of room on the other half of the grill to use the stainless grates I have.  Anyone have one of these and how do you manage it?

Thanks

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Leave Griddle on Grill?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 12:53:38 PM »
Might need to watch for rusting especially of it is sitting on other metal.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Gartenzwerg

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 01:51:47 AM »
speaking of rust - I have a griddle that has quite a bit of rust on it.
Can I just hit it with the sander, and season it afterwards, or are there any other ways to get it back to usable condition?

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 03:18:07 AM »

Can I just hit it with the sander, and season it afterwards, or are there any other ways to get it back to usable condition?

I used an angle grinder and a cup wire wheel. Worked good.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

wessonjb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 03:21:21 AM »

soak it in vinegar and hit with steel wool. Had a few cast iron pieces that we're rusted badly. Some I did over night and the worst one 3 days. Worked great

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 03:23:33 AM »
Just wondering if all of these methods take it to the bare metal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 02:09:48 PM »
Just wondering if all of these methods take it to the bare metal?

Yes, they do, but that's ok.   You would just need to season it again like you would with cast iron.   Coat with a very thin film of oil then heat it up and get it smoking.  When it stops smoking, turn off the heat, let it cool down then put another thin film of oil on and repeat process.    Do that a couple of times and you should end up with a nicely seasoned griddle.

BTW, another method of cleaning is to use some oil and a grill brick / pumice stone.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 02:38:31 PM »
Cool. I know about seasoning. Just didn't know if these methods took the seasoning clean off. Good to know if I find an old piece.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 02:58:32 PM »

Cool. I know about seasoning. Just didn't know if these methods took the seasoning clean off. Good to know if I find an old piece.

I took my skillet down to bare metal. Washed and put on the gas range immediately to evaporate moisture. Oiled and baked at 450 for an hour. That seamed to do the trick. I also took the opportunity to grind off an annoying bump that was an imperfection in the casting. The spatula would run into and stop when cooking. Drove me insane until I ground it.