Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First few practice runs on KCBS BBQ  (Read 2616 times)

Fullbore BBQ

• Smokey Joe
First few practice runs on KCBS BBQ
« on: March 31, 2017, 07:03:20 AM »
First off any critiques or advice any of you have to give i'm all ears, I'm very new to this and hope to compete in the 2017 season at a few cooks to get my feet wet. So here is a few of my practice attempts at KCBS style bbq, chicken i'm still working on uniformity to get a good end result. If i started cooking 10-12 pcs i think i could put together a respectable looking box...

2nd attempt at chicken, didn't take pictures of the first one, and first turn in box build

3rd attempt (quick run on a sunday afternoon)

4th run of chicken

Got burned out on praticing chicken so moved on to brisket
1st attempt at brisket

Currently im in the process of getting 2 more 22WSMs rigged up and ready for 2017 i have one now and going to practice chicken on a kettle, if i cant get the results im looking for im thinking of going with a 18wsm for chicken. All of my WSM have bbq gurus. Thanks again everyone
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 07:05:45 AM by Fullbore BBQ »
1 Weber OTG 26" 1 Weber OTG 18.5" 1 Weber Pimped out Smokey Joe Gold  2 Weber WSM 22" 1 Weber WSM 14.5 3 BBQ Guru Lime Green Thermopen MK4

Fullbore BBQ

• Smokey Joe
Re: First few practice runs on KCBS BBQ
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 07:06:39 AM »
well after the last few snow storms I still try to get some practice in still not the results i'm looking for but i do learn something new every time.... 2nd attempt at brisket just a simple USDA choice grade about 14#. i really wish i wouldn't of squared up the ends. lesson learned a little more trimming it should be top notch
1 Weber OTG 26" 1 Weber OTG 18.5" 1 Weber Pimped out Smokey Joe Gold  2 Weber WSM 22" 1 Weber WSM 14.5 3 BBQ Guru Lime Green Thermopen MK4

Fullbore BBQ

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 07:07:18 AM »
Still at it this is my first pork box practice, I learn more and more each time I cook, still along ways to go...

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 07:22:13 AM »
perfection is merely a goal excellence is achievable keep diggin' looking good
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 07:24:07 AM »
Wow! That food looks amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 07:30:48 AM »
I think it looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 07:36:26 AM »
Really in the mood for some BBQ right now for some reason. [emoji106]

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 07:46:15 AM »
I'd eat the whole fucking box. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 11:13:31 AM »
Looking great! I could go for some of that brisket right now.

RSHU

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2017, 12:18:48 PM »
Picture perfect bro! I think you're gonna do well.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2017, 01:21:06 PM »
It all looks great to me!
Love that pork box, that definitely looks like winner to me

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2017, 03:05:01 PM »
You are doing a fantastic job with your garnish.
When I competed, I got away from using parsley with my chicken and went to rolled lettuce. The parsley can impart flavor to the chicken. (Yeah, those are perfectly cooked breasts sliced into 5 pieces each. That entry scored a 2 in appearance from one judge. The comp organizer and the KCBS reps were embarrassed by that score and apologized profusely.)

I trimmed my brisket flat to the width of the box before rubbing and cooking so I had slices that fit perfectly.
Maybe try this layout for your brisket. Worked well for me. (This was a pic from my first comp, and that was a 5th place turn in.)

I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2017, 05:23:42 PM »
Sorry, I don't know anything about comp cooking.   But, I do know great looking BBQ, and this is really great looking BBQ.   Congrat's, if comp cooking is what you want, then ask some of the other comp guys in the club.   @swamprb is one, and many others I can't recall all of the names :(

SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

Fullbore BBQ

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2017, 05:38:18 PM »
@Harbormaster yes I'm getting away from  parsley for various reasons, strictly green leaf lettuce and kale for me. I need to get out and practice more I have only practice cooked each protein on it's own. Never done a full 4 meat cook yet. I'm really planning on trying a comp this year if I feel I'm ready

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2017, 05:51:41 PM »
@Fullbore BBQ

Your Pork box looks fantastic!

Remember its a garnish and sauce contest, so don't glop on a shit ton of sauce and show off those putting greens!

A full box stays warmer longer, so fill them up if you have the quality.

Short Brisket slices scream to me at first glance the ends were like overcooked and shredded. Trim your flats to the size of your box and trim the point to maximize as much fatty beef to chunk out.

Take a CBJ Class if you have not done so, You need that head start to see what Judges are taught.

Check out some of the Turn In Box groups on Facebook for ideas and post your pics for feedback and be prepared to adjust and take the criticism.

Left Hand Smoke Pacific Northwest BBQ Association 2010 Team of the Year

KCBS CBJ & PNWBA CBJ
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!