Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Put a little spice in your life  (Read 1583 times)

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Put a little spice in your life
« on: March 24, 2017, 11:27:08 AM »
Hello boys. This is my go to chicken wing recipe I found on YouTube from Robin Lindars. It's easy, no fuss, quick cookup and delicious. I marinated them for around two hours. The longer you go, the spicier they will be so adjust the time as well as ingredients to your liking.

Ingredients:

2 lbs of whole chicken wings
1/2 cup Franks buffalo wing sauce
1/8 cup sriacha
3 finely minced garlic cloves
1 adobe pepper in the sauce
Pinch of salt

That's it! I set up the cooker for two zone heat using a heaping chimney of kbb. Seared the wings for color (about 10 minutes) with the lid on and cracked, watching closely, moving around, so on cause they will burn so pay attention to that part. Then moved indirect with the rest of the marinade poured over the top for 35 minutes.
These aren't the super crispy wings everyone talks about. Honestly, those aren't my favorite. These have a grilled skin texture and very tender, juicy inside.
Give it a try!

A chunk of kettlebb' apple wood. Thankyou again, sir.

And with some blue cheese served over the top.

Have a good one fella's!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Put a little spice in your life
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 11:32:09 AM »
Looks good @Travis I like both ways crispy or the way you do it and I love Sriracha
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 12:06:15 PM »
Travis those look great! I thought of a wing cook question this morning. Do any grillfellas line the bottom grate with foil around the baskets or vortex to catch the grease? I've been trying to do that more on my cooks to keep the bowl and sweeps cleaner.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 12:09:45 PM »
Travis those look great! I thought of a wing cook question this morning. Do any grillfellas line the bottom grate with foil around the baskets or vortex to catch the grease? I've been trying to do that more on my cooks to keep the bowl and sweeps cleaner.

@kettlebb I have started lining my bottom grate for better clean up and I have not noticed any negative effect in my cooks
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 12:33:07 PM »
I stopped lining the bottom of my cooker for small cooks. Mostly because I haven't been using my one touch grills for a while. The gunk doesn't bother 3 wheelers like the one touch sweep blades. That's not meant to sound snobby, like 3 wheelers are better or worse. I've just been using them more is all. I do line in foil if doing whole chickens, butts or stuff like that though.

Not a great pic, but this is the kettle after I got rid of the ash from the wing cook. No real build up. The red stuff is the leftover marinade when I moved the wings over and poured the marinade on them. Not really a big deal.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 12:56:20 PM by Travis »

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 01:00:54 PM »
Looks great Travis!
I bet if you did the ring of wings around the baskets you could get the same flavor and a bit more crispiness. I did two batches of wings the other night one around the vortex and the other around the baskets, baskets took a little bit longer, but other than that just as crispy.
I don't line my kettle with foil, but then again I have a designated wing cooker, and yeah it's an effing mess...

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 01:04:21 PM »
Another thought...
Before I had the vortex I would cook wings directly over a smallish amount of coals that were spread out across the whole charcoal grate. Direct cooking, but with lower heat and less flare ups. I think this is one of the most overlooked techniques in charcoal cooking

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 01:11:35 PM »
@wnc thanks bud! I actually do have the vortex and it does exactly what it says it will do! I just prefer this way better. I've tried a lot of different ways now, baskets, vortex, wing ring with both, and for me, the sear and slide is the way I prefer them.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 01:40:03 PM »
[emoji106] nice work, those look great.  I've been using baskets in the middle and it does trash the one touch.  I never thought of that advantage on the three wheeler. I'll start using it more often.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 01:43:52 PM »
Another thought...
Before I had the vortex I would cook wings directly over a smallish amount of coals that were spread out across the whole charcoal grate. Direct cooking, but with lower heat and less flare ups. I think this is one of the most overlooked techniques in charcoal cooking

I agree it is overlooked. I use that method all the time for various things. Full lit chimney and half vent the bottom and it's almost worry free and you get great marks and color without burning. [emoji106]

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 02:19:46 PM »
@hoosierkettle
Thanks man. There are advantages to both, but for me, a three wheeler is the way to go.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 03:45:36 PM »

@hoosierkettle
Thanks man. There are advantages to both, but for me, a three wheeler is the way to go.

Three wheelers for life [emoji1]

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2017, 05:20:23 PM »
Another thought...

This is how I did wings etc. before I had my first kettle... :o A long time ago...Works great...

Only time I foil the bottom grate is when I have the vortex placed to the side rather than centered...I do it to direct the airflow to the hot coals and not to the meat...

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2017, 05:21:13 PM »
Hello boys. This is my go to chicken wing recipe I found on YouTube from Robin Lindars. It's easy, no fuss, quick cookup and delicious. I marinated them for around two hours. The longer you go, the spicier they will be so adjust the time as well as ingredients to your liking.

Ingredients:

2 lbs of whole chicken wings
1/2 cup Franks buffalo wing sauce
1/8 cup sriacha
3 finely minced garlic cloves
1 adobe pepper in the sauce
Pinch of salt

That's it! I set up the cooker for two zone heat using a heaping chimney of kbb. Seared the wings for color (about 10 minutes) with the lid on and cracked, watching closely, moving around, so on cause they will burn so pay attention to that part. Then moved indirect with the rest of the marinade poured over the top for 35 minutes.
These aren't the super crispy wings everyone talks about. Honestly, those aren't my favorite. These have a grilled skin texture and very tender, juicy inside.
Give it a try!

A chunk of kettlebb' apple wood. Thankyou again, sir.

And with some blue cheese served over the top.

Have a good one fella's!

Great post

IndianBBQ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2017, 09:05:40 AM »
 Dude..... its so creepy .. you post... because thats exactly how i do my wings. Minus the siracha.

Sent from my SM-G7202 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Each purchase of a weber grill is a very special and rare occasion for me as they are rare to come by around here.